The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper painting

Jellybean

Hey

I painted my Calipers with a foam brush as per Kit instructions, I am not 100% happy with the finish

Wasting your time using those foam brushes and paint brushes, foam brush puts it on too thick and if you use a normal brush and thin coats , you get brush strokes

Was thinking of Hammerite non high temp Satin black, you can only seem to get high temp in matt black

Question

Can I just sand back the black a bit and then spray or would I need to strip the whole caliper of paint?

I don't know I'm afraid... but I have a question... where did you get your decals from?

Look like the ones I bought.

Off eBay.

You pick the colours of both lettering and underline. State the supra spec, uk brakes, jap brakes, TT etc.

And that ensures the correct size.

You get 3 of each size so your allowed one **** up ha.

I'll find my link....

Still on,

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/380853672171?nav=SEARCH

Edited by kitch79 (see edit history)

Look like the ones I bought.

Off eBay.

You pick the colours of both lettering and underline. State the supra spec, uk brakes, jap brakes, TT etc.

And that ensures the correct size.

You get 3 of each size so your allowed one **** up ha.

I'll find my link....

Still on,

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/380853672171?nav=SEARCH

Thank you both. Ordered now!

I think they look good Carlo, no-one's going to be down with a magnifying glass examining the finish ;)

Its annoying me Jim, the amount of effort to take them off and clean them , I want a better finish :)

Just re-ordered some Supra Decals, going to give them a light sand and a spray of Satin Black ;) hopefully will look better!

Heres a suggestion. Hammerite hammered black, it looks similar to the uk calliper colour black with a slight metallic gunmetal look to it. Can get it in cans or brush on. I think supra owners looking for a oem look should use that instead of a flat/satin black.

I'd recommend Foliatec calliper paint, it's a 2K paint you mix a hardener into, it brushes on far easier than Hammerite (which I find very sticky and difficult to get a good finish with), it gives a very hard wearing, heat resistant, smooth gloss finish. A small can is enough to do a full set of callipers, best not to mix the whole lot at once as it starts to set after 30minutes. I used it on my callipers a couple of years ago and they still look just as good today.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/caliper-paint/foliatec-brake-caliper-paint-and-engine-lacquer

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, just bumping this to ask a quick question. I'll be refurbing mine soon, undecided on what colour yet. Either black or gunmetal probably. I just have a couple of questions as I assume various methods have been tried and tested!

1. Is it necessary to use high temp paint, or can I use normal rattle tins from halfords for example (this would be ideal if I want to go for a nice black with metallic or gunmetal for example)

2. For the decals themselves, is normal sticker vinyl OK, or does it need to be 'high temp' vinyl'? Normal would be handy as I have a vinyl plotter and tonnes of vinyl at home..

3. Do the stickers stay on OK without lacquering over? I'd have thought ontop of the rough VHT high temp it wouldn't stick that well.

Cheers :)

I do these 1 of 2 ways. I use a wire brush to remove any loose rust and clean them up. I then use Hammerite smooth (make sure calipers are completely dry incase you have just washed the car) painted with various size brushes, 2 good coats, do all the calipers and then return to the 1st. You don't want the 1st coat to be completely dry, but not wet enough that the 2nd layer will break the 1st layer. I don't end up with brush strokes and it dries to a lovely smooth finish. Stickers I order via ebay, you can obtain every decal fitted to any manufacturers calipers. They do not require lacquering over hammerite. They can be cleaned with brushes and any All Purpose Cleaner going forward and quite honestly the results if cared for will last many many years.

The other option I do is to strip them from the car, strip all seals and send them off to be powder coated. If you are removing seals, I would always fit a new seal kit. Again stickers can be applied over the top, no lacquer required. This option as you can imagine is far more costly, but if the calipers require a refurb anyway, a good option to consider :)

I won't have time to do them on a car at the minute. The car is currently at a mates garage 70 miles away being converted to manual, so I was just going to run up at the weekend and take them off and bring them home to paint :)

I certainly won't be stripping them for powder coating, even though I've been quoted £40 to blast and paint them. They were only refurbed with new pistons and seals a year ago by the previous owner so I'm avoiding splitting them again, especially because I'm poor at the minute lol.

I have just painted mine too!

Be really careful Mike about painting the brake disc where it mates to the wheel buddy. I did mine a while back and after a few miles my lug nuts began working their way loose!! This happened a few times so I stripped back all the paint and they've been perfect since. Just be careful mate and keep an eye on them ;)

Greg

Be really careful Mike about painting the brake disc where it mates to the wheel buddy. I did mine a while back and after a few miles my lug nuts began working their way loose!! This happened a few times so I stripped back all the paint and they've been perfect since. Just be careful mate and keep an eye on them ;)

Greg

Cheers for the advice buddy!!