The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting a Stock SMIC

MattP

Its been a long time since I took my old one off and I finally got around to getting my Whifbitz Smic ready to fit but nothing lines up at all can somebody show me the stock brackets and mounting points as Im lost :(

The shroud wont fit and both the stock brackets I have are miles out just to make sure im not trying to fit this wrong can someone show me how a stock one should look..

Pictures if anybody has them or a guide?

Why didnt I think of that thread I commented on it the other day regardless im stuffed my stock brackets dont fit the whifbitz one like that the holes in the intercooler are miles out :(

Did they not supply new brackets if the stock mountings aren't there?

Why didnt I think of that thread I commented on it the other day regardless im stuffed my stock brackets dont fit the whifbitz one like that the holes in the intercooler are miles out :(

Isn't it supposed to a like for like replacement ?

No its the same as the CW one you fit your stock brackets its supposed to be a straight swap but the holes dont line up Il email paul now and see what he can do im sure he will sort it

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it supposed to a like for like replacement ?

yes

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

As you may know, I did this swap last week.

I can only go by mine being a CW and not a Wiffbitz one but I would imagine it should line up the same.

Have you taken your stock smic out? Or did you not have one as you need to transfer all the brackets over.

Here is a look from some different angles. I would say there is a degree of variability with positioning the brackets, i.e they can be slid around in different directions before tightening the m down causing them to seem "way out" if it's too high for the bracket to go over the bolt then loosten and slide the bracket down a bit and fine tune it. I was lucky and it went in first time, but believe me when I say I know it's fiddly getting it in there. A tip when getting it into the arch is cover the back with a cardboard cut out to protect the fins from getting bashed in your slowly building rage at trying to get it past the brake disk.

You will notice that there will be a gap between the ducting and your new intercooler. I had heard this was an issue and got some door draught excluder form B&Q although I would have liked to source something black and heavy duty, it is the right width for the job.

Hope some of that helps and any more questions let me know. (Took me hours and hours btw)

Well its not great for sure but i guess you could elongate the holes in the mounting brackets with

a round file and the same with hole for the cowl.

Sounds like a good idea if you hear that that's the way they are supposed to come and modifying the brackets is required.

Space is not an issue everything is off the car Bumper/Arch Liners etc

but there is no play to sort fitting the brackets with regard to fiddling with it and im missing my top bracket now I seem to have misplaced it :/ I might just hang myself now haha

Sounds like a good idea if you hear that that's the way they are supposed to come and modifying the brackets is required.

Agreed you shouldn't have too as the brackets holes are a set size and i personally

wouldn't be too impressed either if nothing lined up.

It's just a viable option and not too difficult to do, the other option is send it back

and get another one and hope its correct or get your money back and buy CW's if he's

still doing them.

Or get some cash back and mod it if Whifbitz will do that

Space is not an issue everything is off the car Bumper/Arch Liners etc

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/New%20Supra/1D952AB3-BEF7-441C-9D99-EB8477DBE676_zpsxke0jwh4.jpg

but there is no play to sort fitting the brackets with regard to fiddling with it and im missing my top bracket now I seem to have misplaced it :/ I might just hang myself now haha

Well having all that space will help! I wasn't brave enough to take off my front bumper after hearing there are millions of clips :)

Wait to hear what Paul says and if it's how it should be then try what dnk suggested by making your own holes on the brackets.

If you have lost your top bracket I remember a thread in the for sale section where someone was selling an old stock smic and had no intrest and was going to skip it. Might be worth a pm to see if he can help with a bracket or two. Failing that, toyota?

P.s when you get to fitting it- if the intercooler pipes are a bit short loosten the other sections on the passenger side and borrow some length from there. Might involve slightly bending the bottom plastic intercooler hose (no2 air tube in diagram) bracket towards the

drivers side.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Problem solved Paul has offered to replace the unit as it was a manufacturing defect on 1-2 units that has now been amended but I have chosen to file out the stock bracket as Paul is sorting me some good discount on other bits I have ordered from him. Rubs hands ;)

Also I found the missing bracket still bolted to the car :/ silly goose

Problem solved Paul has offered to replace the unit as it was a manufacturing defect on 1-2 units that has now been amended but I have chosen to file out the stock bracket as Paul is sorting me some good discount on other bits I have ordered from him. Rubs hands ;)

Also I found the missing bracket still bolted to the car :/ silly goose

A good result :)

I was hunting the garage for the missing bracket but I'm usually quite good about bagging and tagging stuff my brother who's car it actually is walks in and instantly states it's on the car hmmmmm god damn it

So what we have established is he is confident in my ability to look after his car :)

Bollocks I give up I spent hours last night mucking about with the intercooler the shroud may aswell be useless it has a full inch gap around the face of the intercooler and when I finally filed my stock brackets to fit and put an inch of foamy badge tape all around to fill the massive gaps shock horror it wouldnt fit anyway because the chassis leg needs a large chunk grinding off.

Ive thrown my toys out of the pram and emailed Chris Wilson so I can get one of his Smics.

One side.....

The other side

My attempt at filling the gap :/

and the top...

also this chassis leg crease would need trimming/cutting out to make the intercooler fit :(

Bollocks I give up I spent hours last night mucking about with the intercooler the shroud may aswell be useless it has a full inch gap around the face of the intercooler and when I finally filed my stock brackets to fit and put an inch of foamy badge tape all around to fill the massive gaps shock horror it wouldnt fit anyway because the chassis leg needs a large chunk grinding off.

Ive thrown my toys out of the pram and emailed Chris Wilson so I can get one of his Smics.

One side.....

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/79D0A036-0558-4141-A8B2-55504700C6E4_zpsna5rveyd.jpg

The other side

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/7A808B1C-0EDE-4D76-B094-6C63C72F23C9_zps7b3qlqgk.jpg

My attempt at filling the gap :/

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/C4807E5A-DC6A-4950-AA90-E5E9ECBCE7CC_zps7bg6nvlh.jpg

and the top...

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/A2D4D50C-759C-4358-9B78-D437FC352360_zpsfmpymaaw.jpg

also this chassis leg crease would need trimming/cutting out to make the intercooler fit :(

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/puckeru572/7329DDF9-AA25-4C0D-942C-E86344EABE03_zpspvtuorcn.jpg

Sorry about this Matthew, this is being looked at and will be rectified on the next batch of intercoolers due in, I know that doesn't help you much right now. I do have an old style one here which I know will fit straight in, I can supply this to you at a reduced cost to help compensate for the problems you are having with this?