The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will lowering cause rubbing again?

Gretie22

Right this may seem abit stupid, but let me off I'm female :D

I want to lower my car and have found some springs, but here's the issue, when I brought new wheels I went for a pretty aggressive offset, my rear wheels are 10" with an offset of 25 (I thought my old wheels where a 10" but they where actually an 9.5" with an offset of 35 so they actually stick out further than I thought they would :rolleyes:)

They rubbed at first but after an arch roll they are fine as they sit. Well one arch was rolled and one lip was cut due to having a slight bit of filler on that I didn't know about.

So here is some photos of how it now sits:

So if I lower the car on springs will it start rubbing again? Or as I need new tyres anyway, it's currently on 265/35 if I was to go for a 255/35 would this help?

I don't want to lower it, have it rub and not be able to flare the arches because of this filler on the arch. Ohhhh I just don't know what to do.

It's the front that is my main problem it sits ridiculously high at the front, just look at this massive arch gap:

Personally I'd wait and go for coilovers, I know they're not cheap but a bargain comes up on here every now and again. At least that way you'll be able to adjust the height to reduce the arch gap but not so much that they rub.

I am saving for some at the mo, well I was until my partner decided his full motorbike test was much more important :( but that gap at the front make me want to cry :cry: the back isn't even that bad!

Lowering springs are unsuitable for this setup. With coilovers, you can fine tune your ride height, with springs you'll be unhappy with either the ride, ride height or scraping.

This.

Also just changing the springs will eventually cause the shocks to fail depending on height difference as they''ll be working outside of their designed operating range.

This.

Also just changing the springs will eventually cause the shocks to fail depending on height difference as they''ll be working outside of their designed operating range.

Worked fine on my car for quite a few miles before i sold it, stock dampers with Eibachs

Hmmm I might just buy them, try it for now with a 255 tyre, if it doesn't work I'll just sell them on I suppose.

The 265 tyres look stretched as they are, I wouldn't personally go any narrower on 10" width wheels.

What suspension do you currently have on the car?

The 265 tyres look stretched as they are, I wouldn't personally go any narrower on 10" width wheels.

What suspension do you currently have on the car?

:thumbs:

Get new wheels or see how much material is on the hub face of the wheel and if possible

machine them down. not hard to do with the right machine but you'll need to take the tyres

off, as long as you have space between the calipers and spokes to do it ofcourse

Just standard yellow bilsteins.

according to this website http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/tyre-size-for-rim-width_topic60146.html a 255 is the minimum tyre width for a 10" wheel.

They look very stretched on this pic already, yes you could fit a narrower tyre but at the expense of grip and handling. Personally on a 10" rear I'd be using a 275/285 width tyre.

I'd try to get hold of a set of Eibach springs unlike a lot of aftermarket springs they don't lower the car too much, alternatively speak to Chris Wilson about a set of the custom springs he supplies.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

i have 10.5 with 18 offsets arches rolled and lowered about 20-25mm with no rubbing. I have a 18/265/40 tire on the rear and my wheels stick out more then yours. I will be looking to change mine soon but that's just because I don't like the way they stick out not because they rub also as the tyre is stretched is does effect my handling so they have to go. if you lowered yours by 25mm you should be fine even with your 265 tire on the rear

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)