The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suzi - My 97 TT6 Import

JayJay1374

Hi all, thought i might aswell start a progress thread as ive been undertaking quite alot of work on my supra.

In june 2013 i bought a white Jspec TT6 which had been off the road and sat for 3 years, when i bought the car i knew i was buying into problems, the car smoked quite badly on boost, anyway i bought the car which had a few nice extras, trust intercooler, veilside exhaust, full BPU and Tein dampers and springs, triple plate OGR clutch.

i wasnt too keen on the Gewalt wheels that came on the car and i already had a set of Rays vitrix pleasure wheels sat waiting to go on.

the fitment wasnt great when they where first fitted, i then bought spacers all round as i was fitting uk spec brakes 15mm fronts and 30mm rears

I currently work away from home during the week so its quite hard to get jobs done, but i pulled the dash apart as the greddy gauges didnt light up,

a couple wires connected later

after buying a set of second hand turbos and fitting them i was still having problems burning oil and i had very low compression in 2 cylinders

so over christmas me and my dad started pulling the engine out of the car

hard work in the cold and wet

we got the engine stripped to the main block, whilst the engine was upside down on the engine stand we removed the con rod bolts in cylinder 2 and 5 and the piston litterally dropped to the floor and found this on both pistons

after this i knew i was in deeper then i thought so we took the block and head to a local engine rebuilders for them to check the bores etc. they came back finding damage to 2 bores and 5 bent conrods, yes 5! so it looks like the engine has had water in at somepoint, this is very strange because the car ran very well with bent rods and didnt knock at all.

after some tough decisions the engine was bored and new pistons ordered, ended up with a set of wiseco custom forged pistons and a set of measured and balanced standard rods

The head was skimmed valves re seated and new valve stem oil seals fitted

whilst the engine was the way me and my dad moved into our own unit, not a huge one but plenty of space to store 2 cars and a load of parts.

we stripped the oil pump to see if there was a reason for the oil burning, turned out someone in the cars past had fitted a longer spring inside causing the extra oil pressure, so a new oil pump was ordered along with a water pump for good measure

Edited by JayJay1374 (see edit history)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a couple days later and the engine looked like this

and now its nearly finished, waiting on a few hoses from toyota

whilst waiting for the parts to turn up ive cleaned the bay, its not perfect but its alot better than before!

whilst the engine and gearbox are out im also changing the clutch, the triple plate i had was not needed for a BPU car and made it a pig to drive, i made a deal with Shane and we swapped clutches, flywheels, and all the internals as i will be changing from a push to a pull type clutch and shane will be swapping the same, he has my parts and i have most of his, just waiting on a few bits (release fork bracket and slave cylinder)

i have also bought a new standard clutch as the one in the deal is quite worn, the main thing in the deal was the swapping of the release mechanism.

so thats how the car stands now, i have bought a nice omp dish steering wheel and a driftworks detachable boss, i have a set of dash panels coming as mine are abit worse for wear, just need a gearstick surround now.

whilst the cars off the road i will also be refurbing my headlights.

Thanks mate. The shell is clean and was painted by the previously owners garage. Its called triple zero white apparently a very pure white. I am planning on under sealing the car. Just when the cars back together and I can get access to a ramp. Although I might be getting a ramp in the near future.

Nice :cool: any side on pics of the car with the vitrix on? I almost bought a set last year and often wonder how they would have looked, regret not buying them a bit.

i bought the wheels before id bought the supra, same with the brakes. mine are 18x8 and 18x9 although the offsets are poor.

few more pics:

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Had a trip to toyota to pick up the two silicone cam cover breathers and order the final few bits and pieces.

I've been working away this week so nothing has been done but I have had a few deliveries :)

New supra badge

Also had some 2jz air fresheners turn up from the states

Whifbitz lightened and balanced pulleys

Omp wrc wheel. Boss and driftworks detachable boss

Full set of dash panels, glove box to replace mine which has a hole in from the hks piggyback.

Also on my way home from high Wycombe I called in at kerons and bought a front plate holder, front badge, auto surround (I'm gonna cut the clips off and repair my manual surround), boot blind and a rare boot carpet

I now have a week off work as I'm starting a new job on the 18th which will be based from home so I will have more time to play with the supra!

This weeks plans are just little jobs. Which include repairing the manual surround. Splitting and repainting my headlights and a few other bits and pieces :)

Updates to follow......

Thanks mate. The rears are abit small but I'm just running them down until I need new tyres.

I fitted a new glove box today and a couple other little bits.

I pulled out my headlights and stuck them in the oven. Pulled the lenses and got painting.

Since I've owned the car I've hated the white rings in the headlight. So I'm sticking to a similar colour anyway.

I've now got one fully sealed and fitted headlight. Looks so much better than the tacky white rings from before.

I've also started repairing my manual gear surround.

I cut all the clips off the auto surround I bought and I've temporarily glued them in place.

From this

To this

After a test fit I've got the positions of the clips perfect. I just need to make one more clip on the corner closest to the glovebox. After that's done I will cover them all in fibreglass resin.