The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to remove lacquer from wheel lips

Guest Budz86

As above really. Mine have got a little chipped over the years and have gone milky in some places and generally look a bit untidy. I'm planning on removing the lacquer and leaving a polished finish as the metal underneath is fine. Would rather not have to send them away to be refurbed if possible so suggestions are appreciated :)

I used Nitromors, you have to be very careful though, your risk, but it saves a lot of sanding lol

I did a set ages ago and did a thread, I will see if I can find it

Edit

here you go http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?217423-My-polished-rim-refurb-in-stages-by-hand-pic-heavy

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I spent all day yesterday doing just one rim lip. My back is in bits ( old age ) but it looks like I,m winning the battle.

Last week I invested in a mini buffer along with a variety of sanding pads . THIS BUFFER IS WORTH EVERY PENNY I PAID FOR IT. I,ve taken pics of before / after , and once I,ve finished the four rims I,ll post the results . Of what I,ve done so far ( buffing ) I,m very pleased. As soon as I get a dry day forecasted I,ll finish the first rim lip ( needs a good buffing with Autosol etc etc ) to get it to a decent sheen . I,m just about to have a look for ( on line ) a quality polishing pad, in order to bring the first lip up to perfection . I was quoted last week £280 for the lips to be polished , but when I asked the guy the results I could expect, he could only say it depends on the quality of the alloy underneath the lacquer. Not happy with this I,m doing the job myself , with a little investment in some tools and pads , which I will use again to polish up engine parts . I,ve got a feeling this mini buffer I bought is gonna have a lot of use in the coming months .

Thanks guys. The acid idea is appealing as it seems far less work, but I know what I'm like! Something will happen and I will end up have to get the wheels totally refurbished. Thinking about investing in a dremel type thing in the hope that it takes some of the work out of it!

Anything the size and power output of a Dremel just aint big enough. I tried it . I mean, to get the job done you need to use a pad that covers more area . So more area means bigger power. Unless you,re prepared to take a age on each lip. But I,ll be using the Dremel to buff the awkward part between the spokes and lip .

Pay a professional to do it, Thats what they're there for :)

It's a daily and my spare set of wheels don't actually fit over my UK fronts! Lol. Plus, I'm being tight! If I do end up having to send them off I'll probably go for a colour change too

Hey Dean, I,ve been all day buffing the rear off side ( 2000 / 3000/ Autosol ) . It,s to late to take pics as its now dark . Will do this tomorrow , and post all the results when I,m done . Just a heads up, I used the Dremel as I said before , and tbh I think I got a better result getting into the awkward bits by using elbow grease. I,m gonna make a extension piece to fit a Dremel that will cover the width of my rim lip. By doing this it should be able to use the Dremel to buff the whole lip width with one pass , as opposed to several passes due to the small size of the Dremel buffing pads.

You going to Japfest in May ?

Doubt I'll be at Japfest as it's a week before Dragonball so I expected I'll be getting the last few bits sorted on the car!

Chuck some pics up of the finished wheels though, be interested to see the results! :)