The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric fan kits - eBay?

Tommyd16

I looked at those, but wasn't sure if they fitted a stock rad properly. Also, they appear to be flat - rather than funnel the air into the fans.

I made my own in the end. Made a plug, then a fibreglass mould, and ended up with this:

I works perfectly, and allowed me to ditch the viscous fan. Something I'm already pleased about, as my alternator just failed, and took just 18 minutes to replace as the access is now dead easy :D

Guest suprageek

I'd say the eBay fans wouldn't be large enough to do the job of cooling the engine, I have kenlowe's on mine and I think they are 14" I think the eBay ones are 11"

Guest suprageek

I read into electric fans before deciding what to buy, as far as I read that these cheap kits dont do the job they are meant to and cause more grief and heartache than they are worth, SRD ftw

Me and Parry_10 have both run them with NO issues.

They are the same as some traders sell on here

I agree, I guess it depends on what power level you are planning to run, I know that JP used to have a much bigger (deeper) pair of fans on his black beast as per the link in Kaans post and no shroud, but he had a lot of heat to take care of.

I ran the ebay ones at BPU for a while with no issues and then I decided to increase the size of the one on the driver side to 14" as one came up and at a later date thought I may rig up a two stage cooling control system for it, but so far haven't.

So far like Matt and Parry I have had no issues at BPU levels both on road and at Pod. Controlling them is what you something you need to consider though. I initially used a boss mounted sensor in the top hose, then I had a rheostat affair with a probe that sat in the top hose, but was never happy with the seal and now run a Kenlowe electronic controller with a probe that sits in the fins at the top of the rad and works fine.

DavidP runs the same on his supercharged Supra as well without issue.

But to just dismiss something because it is for sale on ebay is odd.

Oh something I should add also is that there is a gap around the edge of the shroud and the rad that I felt needed sealing up so the fans could only draw air via the rad and I used a bit of insulating rubber foam to seal this.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Yep I had these at bpu no problems didn't create a seal around the shroud either. You need to make sure the wiring is capable for the job and run a controller/relay iirc (around £30). On my single turbo supra now I am using the same fans that Jamie P had (SRD fan kit) as these ebay ones would not be up to the job I would of thought. If it was me I would go for the SRD fans as they are a lot better but like anything its all down to how much you want to spend.

I don't doubt the quality of some of the kit some of the traders on here make and they rightfully have their good reputation but cold hard facts if you are on a budget, the ebay setup costs £70 and that includes free postage compared to £329 or £359 for the SRD setup. Same goes for intercoolers, I currently have a blitz intercooler and am BPU but when that dies I will see whats out there, i'm certainly not going to pay £800 for a new one thats for sure. "Oh the ebay one is only good for up to 500BHP" if you only run 400 then whats the problem?

Plenty of decent stuff out there that doesnt have a nice HKS logo on it.