The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disappointing day

Fly

So I thought I was just about there with the last few jobs on the Supra.

Checked all my new electrics and gauges, checked my water meth setup all fine so I cracked on.

Got all my new oils and coolant in, set some new base settings on the emanage and thought what the hell ile see if she starts.

So fired her up and she started!!! Awesome, until I realised she was very lumpy, thinking this was my mistake with the numbers one and two injector clips I swapped them over, no improvement. I then see my coolant bubbling over, it looked like the bath scene from Ghostbusters 2.

So shut her off and set about looking over her, checked the oil level, pretty much off the bottom of the dipstick, it had been full before hand.

It seems that somehow all my oil has escaped into the cooling system :(( and my coolant looks like slime.

All I can put this down to is that I either misread the torque settings for the head or my torque wrench isn't giving me the required torque setting and all the oil has passed into the cooling system in the head. Great!!....

So looks like I'm going to have to strip down the engine and check all my torque settings!! Oh and hope I haven't minced anything up.

So that's put another two days of work on the list, and there was me thinking I would have her road ready by the end of the month. Back to the drawing board.

Nope, she was running fine and there were no scores on the face, I only changed the gasket because of wanting to run higher boost.

I'm certain the head obviously isn't torqued correctly and the oil pressure is forcing into the cooling lines.

Just hope I can re torque the head and flush everything out and she will be fine.

Nope, she was running fine and there were no scores on the face, I only changed the gasket because of wanting to run higher boost.

I'm certain the head obviously isn't torqued correctly and the oil pressure is forcing into the cooling lines.

Just hope I can re torque the head and flush everything out and she will be fine.

You should have checked the head was flat, they usually need a skim as they distort.

Check the oil cooler where the oil filter screws onto first, that'd be another obvious place for the oil and coolant to mix up and it's easier to remove than the head :)

Even on the na? Didn't see anything out of the ordinary there.

I'm going to pull the head and get it skimmed and refit, fingers crossed for the second attempt, I probably should have checked it was flat, I naively assumed it's as fine when I pulled it so it would be fine being refitted.