The mkiv Supra Owners Club

well what can I get?

Guest haydon

I am looking at spending about 6k

Needs to be uk spec ideally.

Found a dealer who only deals with uk . But is 6k on a standard tt auto to much??

Or am I wrong?

Also how much more for tiptronic gearbox? This will be my first auto....[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

My take, and I see a lot of MKIV Supras, is find a Jap spec that's been over here as short a time as possible, and one that is bodily stock. Why? UK cars will have potentially seen a LOT of salty winters. UK cars were often bought by companies, new, and will have often seen stellar mileages, maybe by now "adjusted" downwards in some cases. UK turbos wear out faster than the ceramic Jap ones, and new turbos is a MAJOR expense unless you risk reconditioned ones. Most turbine housings are found to be cracked and make poor cores for reconditioning...

Cars with body kits seem to be more likely to have had accident damage in Japan. A cheap body kit can be a lot less expensive than new genuine parts. Most kits seem to fit where they touch, and that's often the bottoms of the doors, promoting rust. Add in all the unprotected screw and rivet holes where someone has nailed them on, and things get worse.

So my opinion states a Jap import, that's not been bodily got at either in Japan or over here, is the best value for money.

As Chris says a lot of jspecs will be better condition for less money. But it's all down to personal taste really, I bought a UK spec because it already had all of the extras that I'd have wanted to get done anyway, bigger brakes, glass headlines and has a few other nice extras like the bonnet scoop amongst other mechanical extras. I also enjoy the rarity aspect of it and mine had fairly low miles.

Weigh up the differences between the spec of car you want and the cost vs how much you'll be paying for insurance. It'll all end about the same in the end.

Josh is right only fools buy uk tt6s the real fools put bbs on them to.........

Yup, a UK Spec is a chump's car. BBS LMs are just a pathetic wheel too.. ;)

I do enjoy the rarity aspect, and now I've got agreed value on the insurance, I don't have to worry in the event of a crash.

Mine was used hard before I bought it (track car) but the underneath looks really good and isn't all that rusty. Plus is was a 10 minute drive away to look at and pick it up, so the previous owner is close and has always been helpful :)

Make sure the one you look at/buy has as much service history as possible, and if it's been on the forum then its history may be known on here too.

If I were to start again now, I'd probably get a Jspec as my insurance is cheaper now (now I'm 25), but as prices are still strong, I didn't pay too much more for mine than Jspecs are selling for now.

It's also been the most reliable car I've owned to date, and that's saying a lot seeing as it's 20 years old this year :)