The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just a dreamer at the moment

Guest Poweronthrough

Guest Poweronthrough

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a Honda Integra DC5, great car but I'm eeking for a bit more power and there's really none to be had unless you spend £££s. I'm not looking to rush things because I'm enjoying the DC5, but may be looking for a change towards the end of the year.

How often does a supra with these specs come about, and what kind of price would I be looking at?

-TT

-Manual 6 speed

-No work required/only required on easily replaceable parts (eg.not chassis or welding!)

-Good bodywork

Will it be much more difficult to find a UK model with these specs? What kind of price difference might there be between a UK and JDM model?

Cheers guys

Guest Poweronthrough

Thanks David. How often do models like this come about? I can imagine they're quite sought after.

Are chassis repairs on UK models common? I suppose if the underseal isn't topped up in 15-20 years then that would cause problems.

Take a look in the Classified section, they're not as rare as you think.

Supra's don't suffer much from rust, radiator support panel, fuel tank guard, rear hatch around the glass and rear wheel arch behind plastic scoop are the places you'll find it if it has.

Chassis repairs from rust are few and far between, but rear subframes can get ropey after 20 years of winter salt.

My J spec is 20 years old and there's no rust at all.

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a Honda Integra DC5, great car but I'm eeking for a bit more power and there's really none to be had unless you spend £££s. I'm not looking to rush things because I'm enjoying the DC5, but may be looking for a change towards the end of the year.

How often does a supra with these specs come about, and what kind of price would I be looking at?

-TT

-Manual 6 speed

-No work required/only required on easily replaceable parts (eg.not chassis or welding!)

-Good bodywork

Will it be much more difficult to find a UK model with these specs? What kind of price difference might there be between a UK and JDM model?

Cheers guys

Welcome to the forum! DC5s are great cars.

You'll have no problems finding a TT auto for reasonable money, lots of choice in the classifieds section on here and most won't require much if any work doing if you find a well looked after one. Manual TTs aren't too hard to find but fetch a slightly higher premium but as mentioned the auto gearbox is great, don't discount it right away. I'd have never though I'd have liked driving an auto, the supra was my first auto and honestly I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a manual now.

A UK spec TT 6 speed manual is very rare on the other hand and can fetch around £10k if not more depending on spec. I'd say the difference in price between a Jspec and a UK spec would be about £1k-2k more for a UK depending on spec, condition, mileage etc. You can find UK specs for really reasonable money (5-6k) if you're willing to wait for the right one.

UK 6 speeds tend to be worth the most, due to their rarity and cheaper insurance. However, I'd rather but a fresh import VVTi 6 speed for the same money, which will be in very good condition compared to all but the very best UK cars.

Agree with this, Jap cars will be in better condition. I think you'll struggle to find that spec under £12k these days OTR in the UK!

Guest Poweronthrough

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Dont look past an auto.

The supra auto box is awesome, ive had both and i prefer the auto

I've seen a lot of people say the auto gearbox is very good. The only problem is that I would be keeping the Supra for many many years...I'm thinking that after one year I would go for the BPU, and then a couple years later cylinder head, single bigger turbo, etc. I wouldn't want the power to be limited by the gearbox.

My last car was an automatic, and I realised how much I missed a manual gearbox when I got the DC5 (which is a manual) I don't think I could go back to auto!

UK 6 speeds tend to be worth the most, due to their rarity and cheaper insurance. However, I'd rather but a fresh import VVTi 6 speed for the same money, which will be in very good condition compared to all but the very best UK cars.

A friend mentioned that if you want to make high power with a 2JZ then you want to avoid VVTi engines? He said that I could remove it, but from this page it doesn't look as simple as that, it looks like VVTi engines have smaller conrods...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?69320-VVT-i-Delete

What about the difference between the the JDM ceramic turbos and the UK steel turbos? I would be concerned about BPU on a JDM model since the higher boost could damage the ceramic turbos.

I've seen a lot of people say the auto gearbox is very good. The only problem is that I would be keeping the Supra for many many years...I'm thinking that after one year I would go for the BPU, and then a couple years later cylinder head, single bigger turbo, etc. I wouldn't want the power to be limited by the gearbox.

My last car was an automatic, and I realised how much I missed a manual gearbox when I got the DC5 (which is a manual) I don't think I could go back to auto!

A friend mentioned that if you want to make high power with a 2JZ then you want to avoid VVTi engines? He said that I could remove it, but from this page it doesn't look as simple as that, it looks like VVTi engines have smaller conrods...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?69320-VVT-i-Delete

What about the difference between the the JDM ceramic turbos and the UK steel turbos? I would be concerned about BPU on a JDM model since the higher boost could damage the ceramic turbos.

SRD (trader on here) can provide additional support to ensure the gearbox is good for more money BUT we have members on here running over 500bhp on the stock box. This isn't like other auto's so I think it would be best to test drive one or go out in one to understand. Rapid gear changes and nice thud in the back when it changes down for instant train speed mode!!

The conrods are the same I believe in the 2JZGTE regardless of the VVTi or Non VVTi but the NA engine (2JZGE) I believe differ between VVTi and Non.

Before the VVTi's were a pain in the arse to go single with but that has been over come, loads of guys on the forum running 600bhp+ on them with no issues.

The ceramic's last longer but can't be boosted as high, though power is roughly the same, actually think a JSpec holds the record for stock turbo BPU.

Guest Poweronthrough

OK thanks guys, I won't discount the possibility of an auto at this point. Maybe when the weather gets a bit better I'll request a ride in one.

Why might ceramic turbos last longer?

Cheers

Guest Poweronthrough

Thanks Gaz. I've looked at the PDF which shows the differences between the models and the UK spec does have some nice features. How many of them I would actually need is another question though..

That one might be useful ;)

Diff cooler and larger fuel tank...probably not necessary but would be nice.

Just costs more to fill :p

Since I became a home owner I haven't filled the Supra's tank to the brim once :(. Before that, I used to always fill it up to the top. Cost about £100 each time and didn't last long when out on fun and pointless drives :)

Just costs more to fill :p

Since I became a home owner I haven't filled the Supra's tank to the brim once :(. Before that, I used to always fill it up to the top. Cost about £100 each time and didn't last long when out on fun and pointless drives :)

Filling it to the brim and seeing the price says £90-100 is never fun :D Especially when it's the 3rd time in the same month.

Guest Poweronthrough

Here's a question guys...how practical is a stock supra TT as a daily driver? Monday to Friday I do just under 30 miles a day. I'd want to keep it in top condition, but I'm wondering if this is realistic if I also want to drive it every day.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Poweronthrough

Thanks kitch ;)

So it seems a good condition uk spec manual 6 speed TT is 10-11k?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-twin-turbo-manual-6-speed-uk-car-mint-example/1387371?isexperiment=true (from a dealer though)

If that's the case than the JDM ones seem much better value.

Why are the UK ones so sought after? Just due to the rarity?