The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FT-1 is rubbish because it drives itself

Noz

Now, this will stir up something I'm sure. I've read yet another comment which makes no logical sense.

I just read off facebook that the new supra is not as good as the old because "the new one moves by electronics". I understand driver interaction. Is electronic components not merely changing the game of car performance and changing what the driver must do. Your relying on old mechanical components for feedback, when this is just upgraded components with feedback also. It's like people saying the world is flat.

This has been a GTR slag off comment since it got released. Can almost ensure that 99.9% of comments come from people who has not driven one (though I'm sure it does happen).

But I don't see anyone moaning at the internal combustion process and mechanical components allowing the driver to control the car, which is just advanced by the electronics assisting the mechanical function. If your car has an engine, I suppose your not driving it, so you better remove it.

Is it just me, or do these comments seem to only be valid when someone gets out their car and pushes it, so they themselves are actually driving it.

"Look at me bro, I'm driving my car"

http://www.carshippingpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/photodune-2563919-man-and-woman-pushing-a-broken-car-xs.jpg

My opinion with regard to most things is that we should always be driving technology forward and looking at ways we can improve our daily lives through innovation. Electronics make it easier to drive fast and much safer. I also saw that comment, laughed and assumed it was made by someone who can't drive well anyway.

It's the future, embrace it and move on.

I wonder how many people you mentioned would gladly welcome owning a Gtr compared to what they drive now, as far as I am concerned I have plenty of input and until we all go around like Michael Knight in a self driving talking car I will still consider myself "driving" regardless of the electronic aids a particular vehicle might have.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what dickheads do Michael..!!

Straight to the point :D

It was said the other day by toyota that it is the new supra

Link?

We know Toyota have apparently recently renewed the trademark on the name "Supra", but that's pretty much all we know I thought. That on its own doesn't mean they're making a new Supra, or if it will be anything like the FT-1.

Link?

We know Toyota have apparently recently renewed the trademark on the name "Supra", but that's pretty much all we know I thought. That on its own doesn't mean they're making a new Supra, or if it will be anything like the FT-1.

Ent got a link but it was all over the car pages on facebook and car news sites as most people say on here the search button is your friend lol

And I find it weird how people are complaining that it's going to be the new supra I mean it's not like the price of the other ones is gonna plummet and ruin the name, just look at the gtr that worked out well for Nissan

Edited by chris0132 (see edit history)

Banzai calling it the new supra.

They're not - they're asking whether it could be.

Toyota hasn't confirmed anything about a naming strategy at this point, and probably won't for quite a long time. Everyone was saying that the GT86 was the new Celica back when it was a concept, and they were all wrong. It's all just guess work at this point.

It certainly looks like it's the new Supra in spirit though.

I bet it will drive just fine, there are two types of people that say the same about the GTR, jealous type that can't afford one, retards that don't have a clue. GTR is an insane drive.

Or those who want a clutch pedal. All depends what you want in a car.

If people are expecting a new Supra that will be an outright match for the GTRs pace, grip, practicality and tuning ability, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Where the GTR gave us Porsche 911 Turbo performance for a much reduced price, I'm hoping Toyota give us a cut price 911 GT3 contender, which focuses on driver involvement and satisfaction over outright speed. Now that would be something :cool:

You won't miss a clutch peddle, You talk about driver involvement and the GT3, but the new GT3 don't have a clutch peddle either, PDK only.

As long as there is no torque convertor, all is good IMO. :)

That's probably why the value of 996 GT3s has suddenly started climbing rapidly. Even since Porsche moved away from aircooled engines, the subsequent generations have seen a reduction in driver involvement, to the point where they now have electronic steering, and some don't even have a manual option. And it forces the prices of older models up.

What I should have said was that I hope a new Supra is like a cut price GT3 RS with a manual box and no roll cage.

We already have the GTR, and it is fantastic, why would we want something else to compete with it? I'd love to see a return to 1990s form, where all the Japanese marques had halo models, which were all fantastic and yet unique.

Critics are speaking as though they've test driven the FT-1/Supra at their local Toyota dealership. As much as I don't like hybrids, Toyota builds amazing hybrid systems, go look at how much success they have in motorsport. The only fast hybrids you can buy are the million pound hypercars at the moment, so this is a big gap in the market, an affordable sports car utilizing kers. This will sell and we know Toyota is all about business, an all petrol sports car just won't get as much attention and if it doesn't sell, Toyota will just remove it like they did with the MK4.

We all know this car will be compared with the GT-R, so it needs to be fast, things like kers and a DCT will only help it performance-wise.

Edited by h2jz (see edit history)

Toyota GT-1

As in the Le Mans LMP 1 class car? They won't call it that.

You won't miss a clutch peddle, You talk about driver involvement and the GT3, but the new GT3 don't have a clutch peddle either, PDK only.

As long as there is no torque convertor, all is good IMO. :)

I am slowly coming around to the idea that I can live without a clutch pedal and use paddles to change gear. I suppose the more you drive, the easier it becomes.

I have never fancied a GTR, Jag XKR or any Mercedes sports car as I have always wanted a manual. This really limits the choice of car available and most new sports cars are auto/tiptronic set ups for obvious reasons. I have always thought that manuals maximise driver involvement. It the FT-1 is launched then I will ditch all my previous worries and get one as at some point we must move on with technology.

If I had my way I would still be riding round on a racing donkey.

H.

I'd actually quite like a flappy paddle gearbox these days. Auto for trundling in traffic or relaxing, then feeling like a racecar driver when you want a hoon. If you enjoy stirring a manual 'box then go ahead an enjoy it, but it's not intrinsically 'better'.

I'm a big fan of the GTR in the way it moved the game on, it's an immensely capable car for the price, although the size of it and the running costs scare the hell out of me :) There isn't anything wrong with electronics when done properly, as the OP said, you've already got mechanical things 'driving the car for you', why is that the 'proper' way and any electronics isn't? It's just because mechanical stuff was there first and people fear change. I'm as guilty of it as others are, but I only dislike change for changes' sake that actually makes things worse (Windows 8 I'm looking at you).

I'd love this new car to become the new Supra, even in spirit if not in name. And if it's got a complex traction and stability control system then it means you can safely enjoy more fun out of it. What's not to like?