The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota takin piss or he stupid?!?

Whitesupraboy2

well i had been having a noise from right rear....and with all this talk of Bearings going ....wheel had to come off.

Good news...not bearing....phew!! :D

bad news....1 - 2mm top left of brake pads!! straight down to toyota.... this is what i got

Me: need brake pads for toyota Supra import, NA & TT same

Him: no their not sir

Me: ok after facelift some have bigger brakes but mines

Him: still different ill need to get all ur engine code etc...

So let him do it.

then this happens....

U still got original wheels on there?

me: yep but there the optional 17"

Him: ok so thats 235 front and 255 rear....

I then here him putting this into computer...was thinking well not getting them here then as he just not listening to me!

anyway set of rear brake pads..... 62.77 + VAT :blink: :eek:

dont know if this part number T04466-14040 or 2ce01f

I didnt buy them as didnt have them in. Went to Part Co down road,got guy who loved supra....£32 and can get them in today!:thumbs:

Someone with one of those part catologues check to see if he quoted me UK spec brake pads...he must of!!

Toyota always have to do it by the book so they don't get the wrong part.

Toyota main dealer being twice the price of Part co sounds about right though. I got my plugs from part co exactly the same ones but nearly half price!

I also got some rear brake pads from them too but Dude said they were the wrong ones, luckily they didn't actually need replacing so I took them back and got a refund.

Originally posted by toyotasuprauk

Toyota always have to do it by the book so they don't get the wrong part.

Could have fooled me! When I asked for V160 gearbox oil, gave all my details and specifically told them I wanted 2 1l containers and it was special stuff after a couple of weeks wait I got.... a big 5l tub of automatic transmission fluid. Nice one. Always best to give them the part number - the J spec Supras are not on their parts database as they have the UK one. For Jspec parts they normally have to contact a Lexus dealer to find the numbers.

the J spec Supras are not on their parts database as they have the UK one. For Jspec parts they normally have to contact a Lexus dealer to find the numbers.

They looked up my parts okay for my J spec using the vin plate details.:)

Although at first they thought they didnt have the microfiche.

Originally posted by SimonB

Could have fooled me! When I asked for V160 gearbox oil, gave all my details and specifically told them I wanted 2 1l containers and it was special stuff after a couple of weeks wait I got.... a big 5l tub of automatic transmission fluid. Nice one. Always best to give them the part number - the J spec Supras are not on their parts database as they have the UK one. For Jspec parts they normally have to contact a Lexus dealer to find the numbers.

When I went to order V160 gear oil, they said that there was no such stuff. I then gave them the number over the phone and they said it was listed as Suspension oil and would not be the right stuff. I ordered it and it was right, and surprise surprise, it was listed on the printed receipt as "V160 Gearbox Oil"!! Useless lazy Toyota parts staff!

Well in the past I've not had much faith in main dealers, but since I got my Supra in April, I've been to my local Toyota dealer, and they've been really good. Very helpful. They've got the Jap EPC and can always find the bits I want....

I was surprised! And their labour rate is less than the Mazda place I used to go to.

I don't always get Toyota to do the work though, cos you can get cheaper else where.

I'm very surprised to hear you say that WSB2 if its the one up on Wallisdown road as i have used them for quite a few bits and had no problems with them at all. they have the epc discs and full system over there and the guys i have asked for parts have been very good with them. The brakes are the same as lexus ones and yes things like that can be very pricey from toyota, when stuff like shock absorbers that you would imagine being expensive aren't. I have an EPC and there is an online version somewhere on either supraforums or the NZ site.

ive chucked the peice of paper now mate or id show it you.

This is best bit i went to Part Co bloke goes, i can get them mate same brakes as the lexus G300 or something like that. He loved supra. took mick coz it wasnt a TT though lol i know what u mean though, i been up there before and they been real good. but everyone on here said pads for rear bout £40 from toyota not 70!! anyway got pads for £32 from part co and they work a treat no more rear wheel squeal! :alien:

ive chucked the peice of paper now mate or id show it you.

This is best bit i went to Part Co bloke goes, i can get them mate same brakes as the lexus G300 or something like that. He loved supra. took mick coz it wasnt a TT though lol i know what u mean though, i been up there before and they been real good. but everyone on here said pads for rear bout £40 from toyota not 70!! anyway got pads for £32 from part co and they work a treat no more rear wheel squeal! :alien:

Might have been an idea to get some porterfields instead though to give you better braking Lord knows you need it the way you drive :p

I think your Toyota guy was right,the NA pads are a different compound from the earlier TTs with the smaller brakes. As toyota have a policy of only supplying part that are designed for your car he had to offer you the NA pads.

NA and GS300's share the same brakes but I bet they have a different part number.

Might have been an idea to get some porterfields instead though to give you better braking Lord knows you need it the way you drive :p

I dont want better breaking at the rear..... well not without doing the front...

and im treating myself to full neon under body kit ive finally found a ultra slim one so u definatly wont see the tubs (also 52" and 48" tubes ;))...although money may be going on 4 centre caps now lol

Term - that may make sense, but still everyone on here says £40ish i told him a TT and NA have same spec brakes but wouldnt have it.(then he was tryin to catch me out by mentioning facelift models, he annoyed me by checking my wheels no matter what i said to him that they were optional bigger wheels and not the bigger brakes) if the rears were £70 i hate to think how much he would charge me for fronts

I think your Toyota guy was right,the NA pads are a different compound from the earlier TTs with the smaller brakes. As toyota have a policy of only supplying part that are designed for your car he had to offer you the NA pads.

NA and GS300's share the same brakes but I bet they have a different part number.

Yeah, I bet one starts with a T and the other with an L :) and the numbers are the same :) I have seen that before.

T - Toyota

L - Lexus

There is no differentiation between NA and TT on EPC as far as J-spec brake pads go. The only differentiation is by model year and wheel size:

05/93 to 09/93

04492-30140

09/93 to 01/94

04492-50040

01/94 to 05/95

04466-30030 (mine - £30.32+VAT)

08-94 to 05/95 with 17" wheels

04466-14040

All bona fide Toyota dealers should have the Uk and J-spec EPC disks, and the should all know how to use them. If they don't then we should bloody well report them to Toyota UK! My local dealers have recently seriously cleaned up their act. Although I have stopped using them for servicing, I regularly get parts from them with no hassle at all.

I stand corrected.

However I thought there had been issues with brake fade and rapid pad degredation when someone tried to use NA pads in a TT. It was a few years ago now so I may have remembered incorrectly.

There is no differentiation between NA and TT on EPC as far as J-spec brake pads go. The only differentiation is by model year and wheel size:

05/93 to 09/93

04492-30140

09/93 to 01/94

04492-50040

01/94 to 05/95

04466-30030 (mine - £30.32+VAT)

08-94 to 05/95 with 17" wheels

04466-14040

All bona fide Toyota dealers should have the Uk and J-spec EPC disks, and the should all know how to use them. If they don't then we should bloody well report them to Toyota UK! My local dealers have recently seriously cleaned up their act. Although I have stopped using them for servicing, I regularly get parts from them with no hassle at all.

I dont want better breaking at the rear..... well not without doing the front...

and im treating myself to full neon under body kit ive finally found a ultra slim one so u definatly wont see the tubs (also 52" and 48" tubes ;))...although money may be going on 4 centre caps now lol

So let me get this right:- you don't mind not being able to stop so good as long as everyone can see your neons vanishing into a field when you don't stop??? :friday: