The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE is moving.

Bill Prawn

The JAE has now got so big the organisers are moving it from Billing.

It is going about 25 miles east to the East of England showground on tthe edge of the A1 at Peterborough.

Bigger area, better catering (?), better loos and more room for camping.

There are no hard standing areas though but ther are some undercover, whether they will be available I don't know.

The date is hopefully the same 22nd-24th July.

Indeedy:

I hope this email finds you all well and you're all looking forward to the festive season and 2005! With 2005 comes JAE...bigger and better!

The letters, questionnaires and e-mails we received following JAE 2004 have proved extremely valuable but I do not propose in going into detail again. However, a couple of the key points were:

Numbers for 2004 were up 50% on the previous year with over 15,000 people attending over the whole weekend. This is a fantastic result and we hope everyone had a great time. However, it did leave us with problems in terms of food stalls and in the amount of space available for camping.

Billing Aquadrome did make an effort to keep the toilets in full working order and open shower blocks earlier. Litter was cleared away and 24-hour security was better than previous years. However, they too were caught out with the numbers and are at the very limit of their capabilities.

All the positive and negative feedback has been reviewed and researched for 2005. The Organisation have had numerous meetings with Billing and other venues. It has been decided that Japanese Auto Extravaganza will be moved to The East of England Showground, which is only about 20miles from Billing Aquadrome.

The Organisation's rationale behind this move is:

a/ The capacity of JAE is now overwhelming for Billing Aquadrome

b/ Lack of support in Marshalling and Security

c/ Too much reliance on Billing Aquadrome means insufficient control for JAE

With the above in mind, JAE 2005 will have a new venue, The East of England Showground. This is a secured venue, large enough to hold ALL car clubs/traders and have a designated camping areas. The area that is dedicated to JAE is flat, grassed and with some hard standing areas. There is a speedway track with grandstand. There will be three main gates for entry and exit which have been split into Clubs, Traders and Public. Public parking will be in the general carpark. This reduces any chance that they park on clubs or traders stands. With the space provided by the new showground we can significantly increase the space allocated to all the cars. that means the squeeze of recent years will now be a thing of the past.

More details of the above will be sent to you in the new year in the JAE brochure that will have all the details of the show, booking forms and Terms and Conditions.

It is important that your Club is aware of these changes as soon as possible, so please communicate this information. If you have any questions about the change in venue please contact Claire Williams (Clubs) John Fuggles (Traders)

Billing Aquadrome were in agreement with The Organisation, that JAE's capacity had exceeded Billing capabilities. However, the relationship is strong with Billing and other events are already being arranged there.

The Organisation are developing a brochure which will be sent out in the new year, more updates to follow. Please check the JAE website for further info.

22 - 24th July 2005 has been confirmed

Book your hotel room now if you aren't planning to camp, they will go quickly!

Holiday Inn Express

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925/en/hd/ptruk?irs=null

Marriott Peterborough

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/XVHPB

Orton Hall Hotel

http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/content/hotel-details-leisure.aspx?hotel=83354

Moat House Hotel

http://www.moathousehotels.com/html/frameset_top.cfm?section=booknow&content=bookhotel&HotelId=56

Thorpe Lodge Hotel

http://www.thorpe-lodge.co.uk

Holiday Inn

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925/en/hd/ptrcb?irs=null

And a few more....

http://www.hotels-peterborough.co.uk

Great access to this site and the place is huge, home of Truckfest etc.

Some good small hotels and inns available too, as well as those listed above.

If you are coming from the South you have the best bit of motorway in the country IMHO. The section where a Japanese MKIV attempted a 190 run one night. I am sure you have all seen the video.

So it will have to be a four lane convoy.:)

Originally posted by davidd

so terminator plans to block A1 both ways with a convoy eh?:D

I would never would suggest or condone anything so irresponsible:flame Dev

Not that 40+ supras moving at 70 mph across all four lanes would constitute a block more like of a bit of congestion;)

However now you come to mention it I am sure it could be done.

As you say a suitably sized meeting place is the problem. But I am sure we can come up with something of word wide note. :flame Dev

Further discussions re tactics off forum. :flame Dev

Every one contemplating a trip to The Show ground should be aware it is in Cambridgeshire, which probably has more cameras per head of population than any other county. The revenue from these this is huge. The buy more mobile units with the funds. So expect vans on bridges and along the sides of the roads.

Please don’t get fooled into racing someone in another car. The unmarked cars round here are famous for incitement, but you just try and prove it. A few members round here have had experience both night and day of being buzzed by a variety of cars just begging for you to go for it. Justin and I have had an experience with the same car on the same night, using the same tactics but fortunately neither of us fell for it.

Another tactic is to stay far enough behind not to bother you but match your speed for many miles and get gradually closer, so you think you are safe, all the time gathering evidence, so much, they can throw the whole bookcase at you. I know of a 3 month ban that followed this approach, the driver only just got off DD.

Some of the younger members of the modified car owners round here have fallen for the invitation to go for it and got done big time. Many have been pushed to over 100 and instant ban territory by getting involved with these bastards. I don’t know if they move that cars around between forces or reregister them on another plate, but they don’t seem to be around for long. They use Volvos, Octavias, BMWs, Honda’s, thats what we know about, mainly from the reports of their victims

Road to the Show Ground from the south is fantastic, no cameras on either side and long four lane straights, gentle sweeping curves that just invite top speed runs. It is a great road to test out mods and usually there is nothing to worry about when doing 150 + . But I can’t imaging the chief constable is going to let this event go without claiming a few scalps.

Just don’t let it be yours.

ive been to the new location about 6 times over the past few years as they hold a few vw shows and i would say its about the same size (if not smaller) than billing! plus the drive way going into the venue is full of huge pot-holes and last time i went i cracked my bumper! :(

Originally posted by keron

ive been to the new location about 6 times over the past few years as they hold a few vw shows and i would say its about the same size (if not smaller) than billing! plus the drive way going into the venue is full of huge pot-holes and last time i went i cracked my bumper! :(

Not been to the site for a few years, so this is bad news. As the majority of cars that the public are going to pay to see, will have problems getting in, if it is as bad as you say, clubs will need to put pressure on to ensure access is adequate for members cars.

The main difference is that Billing had loads of other people doing other things at the site while JAE was running. The show ground will only host JAE.

I have spoken to the Show Ground managers, who informed me this morning that the hard roads round the site have been re-tarmaced in the past two months. They do sustain damage to grassed areas due to some events and the weather conditions. The last Truckfest did cause a lot of damage but they have a team who is constantly repairing the site after events. They can not give any guarantees regarding the condition of the grassed areas as it will be dependant upon the weather and events leading up to JAE. They also said that they lease out the ground to the JAE organisers, so any specific requirements of car clubs re access should be presented to JAE organisers as early as possible.

Yeah I was gonna say that Billing annually hosts the national landrover meet which is about 4 times the size of JAE. OK OK landrovers aren't quite as perturbed by icky mud as a 900 bhp rear wheel drive car might be so perhaps some of the site at Billing might not be useable for JAE. Access in and out of Billing I have to agree is appalling so somewhere with seperate access for various groups will be a welcome improvement.

Guest Booty-licious

Hi Guys/Gals,

Let me put you at your ease. :D

I have visited EoE many times and have reconned the area where JAE will be held. The roads are well maintained and smooth. The grassed areas are flat and no speedhumps. There are hardstandings too. Plus we have use of the speedway track and grandstand - there will be activities, but this will become clearer in the new year

The plot size that JAE will have is a LOT bigger than Billing!

There will be three gates - 1/clubs 2/traders 3/General Public. General public will park outside and enter the showground by foot, that stops anyone trying to park anywhere they like and driving round and round the roads. This will stop congestion and aid to better marshalling on entry and exit.

There will be more to post, but I will send this info via your events coordinator in the new year.

Thanks for your continuing support to JAE

Rgds

Claire

Hi Guys/Gals,

General public will park outside and enter the showground by foot, that stops anyone trying to park anywhere they like and driving round and round the roads. This will stop congestion and aid to better marshalling on entry and exit.

Rgds

Claire

this is the overriding reason for EoE being better - events I have been to seem to work much smoother than Billing

• 2 weeks later...

You must have been in a fenced off portion of the EoE Showground.

This place is HUGE. Billing is nowhere near the size of it.

Some of the events held there are much bigger than JAE. The EoE show itself is very big. They would never have the room for all the livestock wagons that go there if it was the size of Billing.

The BMF rally is there every year too. That's pretty large!