The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear tires rubbing, alighnment ?

msupra1

I'm running alignment which is pretty close to stock I believe.

I had my rear fenders rolled and then pulled a while back, same as the fronts.

Car was going into paint and had this done to fit the aggressive wheel setup.

Rear is 19x10.5 +22 with a 285/30.

I just got some softer coilovers and the rears are rubbing on the edge a bit when making harder turns or hitting big bumps on the road.

The tire is sitting RIGHT even with the fender, and its rubbing right on the edge of the tire. So I believe with some better alignment I can get rid of this rubbing issue.

This is going to be a 600bhp street car, and one of the main focuses is good handling, and if possible something that will help improve traction?

Is there any recommended alignment specs? I guess that for the rear, I will need to add a little negative camber. Only concern with this is I don't want my tires to wear. I don't know much when it comes to alignment but am I able to run some negative camber, and the toe can be adjusted for even tire wear?

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)

To answer your first question you will need to drop a tyre size like Matt says to stop the rubbing.

The last part about good handling and traction combined with 600BHP, you will need to go smaller than 19's with the wheels, this will give you the option of having a bigger side wall in the tyre and will aid with movement and therfore traction.

The only way you'll move the tyre away from the arch using wheel alignment is by adding more

negative camber so it really depends how much you have now, too much negative camber is

not a great idea and will destroy your tyres as well as not giving you the grip you require

I don't have the money right now to get some new rims and tires :)

I am just in the process of finishing up the engine build

When I run through these set of tires, which are almost new, I will sell the rims off and get some 18's for sure.

I'm just trying to work with what I have now.

Is there a good all-around alignment for the Supra I can try out? if I continue to rub I can have the camber adjusted and go from there.

The tire is setting dead even with the fender and not past it. So I hope with a little bit of camber I can get away with it.

What camber and toe is on the rears at the moment ?

I used to run 295 35 19 on my widebody lowered on Eibach pro sport

springs.

My car was approx 420 fwhp and only had traction issues in the wet, my

rear set up was if i remember correctly 1 degree of negative camber and

a few minutes of toe in, not sure on the toe in but think it might have

been 20 minutes inc, maybe slightly less

I got very even tyre wear with this set up and good dry grip

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)