The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey guys, I'm Jack

Guest CaptainJack

Guest CaptainJack

Hey guys, I'm Jack and since it was suggested to me that I should introduce myself, I might as well do it!

Unfortunately I don't own a Supra, but hopefully this should change in a few months.

Before I buy one, I'd like to know what some of you owners think I should look out for, things like mileage, stock or modified, and similar things.

Also, I've recently found out about Sky Insurance and read that they give some pretty good deals to members of this forum, now, I presume that you don't automatically become a member just by joining the forum right?

So, how would you become a member?

Thanks for your time guys!

Guest CaptainJack

Considering I'm still a student, I can't really afford to spend too much...

Any suggestions?

If I was to get one it would definitely have to be NA and it is very likely going to be a 5 speed, mainly because 6 speed Supras are a lot more expensive, and insurance price will definitely go up.

Insurance is cheapest on UK spec twin turbo cars, though they tend to be more expensive than equivalent imports. Expensive insurance and crap fuel economy will hurt your wallet...

Rather than struggle financially, you may be better looking at a cheaper RWD alternative until you finish uni, then buy the Supra you want. MX5s can be very cheap, reliable and a lot of fun.

Insurance companies always charge more for imports, plus the UK specs are getting more rare each day. Add any modifications that you may have been done to the car and it gets expensive.

But as said, buying one is the cheap part, it's the maintenance and running costs that will be the killer!

Welcome aboard by the way, £10 will get you a years membership....join at your own peril! ;)

Really?

Didn't know that, I don't mean to be a pain, but do you know why that is?

That was another option, though it is no Supra ;)

Mainstream insurers hate modified, imported and fast cars so insurance is high. Due to the fact they are not imported the UK spec's are cheaper, but if you don't have much money I would steer clear of a supra they are not cheap cars to run and can be very expensive to fix. A supra is not a car you can healthily run on a budget unless you do all repair and service work yourself.

Guest CaptainJack

Ah, okay, honestly the only modifications I wanted to do were just upgrades on things which won't necessarily be increasing horsepower, so things like a radiator, intercooler, oil cooling etc...

Thank you Budz, I think it'll be money well spent ;)

Tyson, does this also include Sky insurance?

I read that it's involved with this website and its members for cheaper insurance and other things, also, I'll be doing most, if not all servicing on the car myself, although things like transmission repairs, drivetrain etc... I would have no idea where to start.

I'm sorry if I'm bombing everyone with questions, but roughly how much would I be looking to spend per year if I owned the car?

It'd be a daily driver and would be driving around 20 miles everyday.

Mainstream insurers hate modified, imported and fast cars so insurance is high. Due to the fact they are not imported the UK spec's are cheaper, but if you don't have much money I would steer clear of a supra they are not cheap cars to run and can be very expensive to fix. A supra is not a car you can healthily run on a budget unless you do all repair and service work yourself.

This being said a good condition supra is as reliable as the day is long. however being 20 years old some things will require replacing like ball joints which are not cheap! I average 18-20 mpg in my NA and that is the single biggest cost of ownership.

Ah, okay, honestly the only modifications I wanted to do were just upgrades on things which won't necessarily be increasing horsepower, so things like a radiator, intercooler, oil cooling etc...

Thank you Budz, I think it'll be money well spent ;)

Tyson, does this also include Sky insurance?

I read that it's involved with this website and its members for cheaper insurance and other things, also, I'll be doing most, if not all servicing on the car myself, although things like transmission repairs, drivetrain etc... I would have no idea where to start.

I'm sorry if I'm bombing everyone with questions, but roughly how much would I be looking to spend per year if I owned the car?

It'd be a daily driver and would be driving around 20 miles everyday.

Sky is a broker and who I am currently with they are not a mainstream insurer. They understand these types of cars much better and therefore are much more resaonable on quotes but this is dependant on many factors. You need to be 23 to use sky though.

This being said a good condition supra is as reliable as the day is long. however being 20 years old some things will require replacing like ball joints which are not cheap! I average 18-20 mpg in my NA and that is the single biggest cost of ownership.

Very true indeed these cars if treated right are bullet proof but things ages with time such as suspension rubbers, rubber mounts, engines hoses etc Brake lines near the rear axle is another one to look out for, old intercoolers and radiators. Brake calipers are another thing to watch out for, not that expensive to repair but it all adds up in the end.

Guest CaptainJack
Sky is a broker and who I am currently with they are not a mainstream insurer. They understand these types of cars much better and therefore are much more resaonable on quotes but this is dependant on many factors. You need to be 23 to use sky though.

Does this apply to me even if I put my parents as primary drivers and myself as a secondary driver? (I'm not 23 yet)

Very true indeed these cars if treated right are bullet proof but things ages with time such as suspension rubbers, rubber mounts, engines hoses etc Brake lines near the rear axle is another one to look out for, old intercoolers and radiators. Brake calipers are another thing to watch out for, not that expensive to repair but it all adds up in the end.

These are pretty straight forward fixes which I can do, but I understand the fact that all these things will add up

Guest CaptainJack
What you are suggestion is called fronting it is a type of insurance fraud and is illegal.

Even if my parents will be driving it?

Obviously not as often as I will, but they will probably take it for a day or two in the week

Even if my parents will be driving it?

Obviously not as often as I will, but they will probably take it for a day or two in the week

Yes. You will be the main driver so you should be named on the policy as such, as I said earlier it is insurance fraud.

Plus you won't earn any no claims either keeping your premiums higher for even longer.

Guest CaptainJack
Yes. You will be the main driver so you should be named on the policy as such, as I said earlier it is insurance fraud.

Plus you won't earn any no claims either keeping your premiums higher for even longer.

True, thanks for the heads up Tyson!

These are pretty straight forward fixes which I can do, but I understand the fact that all these things will add up

Having owned several cars I can honestly say the NA supra is one of the EASIEST cars in the world to work on. Tons of room in the engine bay to work, Simple and effective suspension design and well thought out layout. Since I have bought it absolutely no one else has worked on it but me and it's been stellar.

the only things that have needed replacement on it were

To give you an idea of running costs

Electric window switch (20 pounds on here)

Stater solenoid rebuild (10 euro in parts from toyota guide on here)

Alternator (300 Euro from toyota)

Front Brake calipers sticking (Replaced with ls 400 brakes for 220 US dollars)

Radiator (130 euro on ebay)

Front lower ball joints wich require the whole a arm to be replaced (535 Euro from toyota)

Shocks (350 US dollars)

Crank pully (replaced with a 30 dollar ebay solid one 2 years and 70,000 kilometers ago)

Distributor gasket (2 euro)

Valve cover gasket (20 dollars)

on my 3rd set of discs and pads 2nd set of plugs and distributor cap 2nd timing belt and 13 oil changes 4 transmission oil changes 3 sets of tires and about 35,000 liters of petrol.

this is over 6 years and 170,000 kms

I bought the car in 2008 with 138,000 kms on the clock

I'll be over 280k kms by the end of the month

other than fuel no car has ever cost me so little to run.

Guest CaptainJack
Having owned several cars I can honestly say the NA supra is one of the EASIEST cars in the world to work on. Tons of room in the engine bay to work, Simple and effective suspension design and well thought out layout. Since I have bought it absolutely no one else has worked on it but me and it's been stellar.

the only things that have needed replacement on it were

To give you an idea of running costs

Electric window switch (20 pounds on here)

Stater solenoid rebuild (10 euro in parts from toyota guide on here)

Alternator (300 Euro from toyota)

Front Brake calipers sticking (Replaced with ls 400 brakes for 220 US dollars)

Radiator (130 euro on ebay)

Front lower ball joints wich require the whole a arm to be replaced (535 Euro from toyota)

Shocks (350 US dollars)

Crank pully (replaced with a 30 dollar ebay solid one 2 years and 70,000 kilometers ago)

Distributor gasket (2 euro)

Valve cover gasket (20 dollars)

on my 3rd set of discs and pads 2nd set of plugs and distributor cap 2nd timing belt and 13 oil changes 4 transmission oil changes 3 sets of tires and about 35,000 liters of petrol.

this is over 6 years and 170,000 kms

I bought the car in 2008 with 138,000 kms on the clock

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/gman-r33/Mobile%20Uploads/20140202_153018_zpsmsjzda74.jpg

I'll be over 280k kms by the end of the month

other than fuel no car has ever cost me so little to run.

That's impressive, and I presume you did all the installations on the car?

The mpg and insurance costs are the only things which I'm concerned with the most because of my age and since I'm still a student

Also, I watched a few videos and did some research on tuning cars and found out that when properly tuned, it can increase mpg AND increase horsepower or keep the horsepower to what it originally was, but you have better mileage.

Does anyone know about this?

That's impressive, and I presume you did all the installations on the car?

The mpg and insurance costs are the only things which I'm concerned with the most because of my age and since I'm still a student

Also, I watched a few videos and did some research on tuning cars and found out that when properly tuned, it can increase mpg AND increase horsepower or keep the horsepower to what it originally was, but you have better mileage.

Does anyone know about this?

Every bit of it on my own.

A properly tuned car would problably get better mpg so the supra might go from horrible to just terrible mpg. Once I drove at 120 kph on a 100 km run and got 36 mpg.

Guest CaptainJack
Every bit of it on my own.

A properly tuned car would problably get better mpg so the supra might go from horrible to just terrible mpg. Once I drove at 120 kph on a 100 km run and got 36 mpg.

Awesome!

It'll probably be a good investment in the long run, thanks for your help!