The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need better brakes for mi single turbo Supra what is your advice ?

Batmax

Hi

Today I put some pressure in brakes, and guess what, at some time my supra take lot of time to brake, very concern in my head now, my setup is oem rotors brembo with Brembo Spec Hawk Pad Set for Front/Rear Brakes pads, now I want to go big brakes, don't know what I should choose, if I should put the brakes in the 4 wheels, I don not want spend more than 5000€, help me please, thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you have the larger 4 pot brakes? (as per UK spec?)

These should be fine on any road going Supra, so I'd probably start with checking all the brake components, and giving the system a good bleed. Standard discs with uprated pads seem to be a good setup, even on medium power single turbo Supras.

As for brake kit, I would personally only consider something along the lines of Brembo, AP or Alcon. Known quality and excellent customer support. Another benefit with aftermarket brake calipers is a significant reduction in weight, the factory 4 pot calipers weigh a lot!

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

The stock brake system works well, but it does not give a lot of feedback. Also, it won't feel as if it's stopping as urgently as modern cars, as the brakes aren't 'over servo'd', which seems to be the norm now.

I had the Brembo f40 setup on my single, and combined with good hoses a braced servo, etc, gave a much improved interaction.

The stock brake system works well, but it does not give a lot of feedback. Also, it won't feel as if it's stopping as urgently as modern cars, as the brakes aren't 'over servo'd', which seems to be the norm now.

I had the Brembo f40 setup on my single, and combined with good hoses a braced servo, etc, gave a much improved interaction.

Exactly, I like the ideia of press brake and has immediately response !

Your brakes are these : Brembo 6-Piston MonoBlock 14.0'' ?

What sort of power are you running? The larger brakes are good if they got decent pads too, Chris Wilson (Trader) can provide some. Also as mentioned by others other components like ensuring all the pistons in the calipers are working properly. Good grade of brake fluid, braided hoses, OEM discs. Though if this is not enough then I would suggest you look at other options for brakes. Adam (Justin Bieber on the forum) has Brembo brakes on his setup and it is certainly better than the UK brakes! He did a brake check whilst I was out in his car and it was incredibly good!!

AP Racing, Brembo (who are connected to AP) and Alcon all do or did a conversion kit. Not cheap, but a commercial package that retains correct brake balance and fits as a bolt on mod. Gotcha can be wheel clearance. Safest way to check is fit your wheels on a car with the brake kit you fancy already on it. Measuring demands a great deal of patience and some skill. If you know EXACTLY what you are doing you can build a kit from stuff off the race car `sites, but I stress, you must know EXACTLY what you are about, there's a LOT to this!!!

A properly functioning UK caliper and stock disc set up should, with good pads, give excellent bite and stopping power matching normal fast road usage. Repetitive hard stops from 100 MPH plus, with little time for thermal recovery are NOT considered normal road use....

True, thanks.

You can use 20 year old brake fluid, it'll still stop exactly the same as with new race fluid. Only the fluids resistance to boiling due to absorbed water from the atmosphere will have changed, meaning consecutive fast stops may cause the fluid to boil (pedal goes straight down to the floor, *ZERO* braking and very unnerving!). That's not to say regular fluid changes aren't a good idea, just to point out the car will still have brakes that feel exactly the same unless bleeding fixed something.