The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much of a difference did changing your intercooler make?

Guest Budz86

Ok, so I know these are an essential part of a turbo charging system but what I'm wondering is how much of a difference a good quality unit compared to a rubbish, inefficient one is? Not in terms of price, but of performance.

Interested in how much difference you guys have seen just by changing the IC? If you remember the intake temps too that would be useful :)

Reason I'm wondering is because mine has no markings on it at all and I have a feeling it's pretty lazy! A change is on the cards when I can spare the cash but just wondering what sort of improvements I'm likely to see

FMIC? Or you talking SMIC?

I have fitted FMIC to both my Supra's and I'd say it 'feels' like it make a difference but that could be to do with something new fitted. Pretty sure it doesn't make a large difference to HP, but I am sure on colder nights it certainly makes more difference to when it was stock. No idea what the intake temps were dude!

A well designed intercooler will be both free flowing and effective at heat transfer to the cooling air passing between its veins

Often cheaper coolers can have poorly shaped veins which although may allow charge air to pass fairly unrestricted thru them , are less effective at heat transfer and may also be more restrictive to the cooling air passing thru it

Although there are plenty of pretty well made/designed intercoolers out there that lack the high price tag the branded ones demand

I also think that unless your running big power you probably wouldnt notice the difference

The difference is scientific and irrefutable. Ambient air intake temperature versus intercooler exit air temp drop. Air density is directly related to air temperature and humidity level, including altitude. Air density is directly related to engine power output. I won't bore people with the maths, an easy to use calculator is, for example,\available here:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Basically a more efficient intercooler is "free" additional BHP.

(My idea of free is about £720 plus VAT ;))

If the question is FMIC vs FMIC and cheapo EBAY vs higher quality manufacturer :

In performance terms I found sadly very little difference , issues were found with pipe work heating air at low speeds that had a more profound effect than the FMIC itself

Quality wise the aluminium used in ebay item was much poorer and prone to rapid surface corrosion