The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A bit of a mixture

Guest SHADES

Hi folks :eyebrows:

This is my first post on your site and there's a few things I wanted to ask.

I may be getting a 3.0 auto na soon but wanted to ask something first.

The chap who's selling the one I'm thinking about is selling it as spares or repairs and he reckons the engine sometimes is a bit tickety on first start up. 2-3 seconds he says and reckons its the shells. Now I know bugger all about these lovely cars and so just curious if this could possibly be a disasterous buy from the start?

Another question is what sort of things should I look for on inspection of vehicle?

And the last is is the insurance normally pretty high for someone in their 40's? This could be the killer as I don't really want to spending more than what I'm spending on my Impreza WRX atm.

Thanks in advance peeps and hopefully I may get to meet some of you at some stage :cool:

Worst being worst and the engine is knackerd they a pennies on here anyway, but tbh it sounds like hes worrying about nowt if it were the shells you sould be able to here it for longer than three seconds, the most importent thing imo is that the suspension is in decent nick as this can be an expensive fix,

obvious things like bodywork the usual stuff when buying a car, theres a buyers guide in the new members section too ;)

Welcome to the club btw

Thanks for replies :)

I wouldn't be buying the car but looking more along the lines of swapping it for my WRX. Even if the engines are pennies, I wouldn't have them to start with :(

safcdixon. Do you have any idea as to what else it could be? I was thinking possibly oil maybe too thin and not sticking to the internals before start up. But then I don't much about cars full stop :( lol

Oh and thanks for the welcome :cool:

If you're that broke, I'd look for something with a small engine TBH.

Why's that? It wouldn't matter how big the engine is, if I got any car and something was wrong with it I would be in the same boat!

How much is the NA, or how do you value your WRX ?

The blokes looking for £1,950 which I think is pretty good and my WRX has low mileage and is rust free so would be around the same price for a cash sale.

And the last is is the insurance normally pretty high for someone in their 40's? This could be the killer as I don't really want to spending more than what I'm spending on my Impreza WRX atm.

:

I'm 40 with a clean license and currently paying just shy of £200 fully comp with all mods declared on my NA.

I'm 40 with a clean license and currently paying just shy of £200 fully comp with all mods declared on my NA.

Now that price would suit me down to the ground :D

Who's that with? I will call them in the morning

Welcome, first of all read THIS if you haven't already.

Thanks for replies :)

.... Even if the engines are pennies, I wouldn't have them to start with :( .....

If you're that broke, I'd look for something with a small engine TBH.

What he is trying to say is, that these are 20 year old cars now and parts sometimes aren't cheap to replace. I don't think he ment anything by what he said above, just makes sure its been well looked after and has decent service history :thumbs:

Welcome, first of all read THIS if you haven't already.

What he is trying to say is, that these are 20 year old cars now and parts sometimes aren't cheap to replace. I don't think he ment anything by what he said above, just makes sure its been well looked after and has decent service history :thumbs:

I didn't think he meant anything in particular, I was just asking why as he may know something I didn't.... But then that wouldn't be hard :D lol

My WRX is a 95 so were getting there with the age too :(

Oh and I have read The mkiv Supra Owners Club - What to check when buying a Supra.pdf :eyebrows:

Depends how you drive it but they're not great, expect it to average out around 20 mpg depending

on type of journey and how hard you press the go pedal.

OK so similar to what my Impreza gives then :(

Thanks for that :D

Why's that? It wouldn't matter how big the engine is, if I got any car and something was wrong with it I would be in the same boat!

Bigger cars tend to be more expensive to run, as there's just more of everything, and the insurance for the NA is expensive for the performance. Some parts are very expensive IF you need to buy new, such as facelift suspension arms.

These are tough, reliable cars. But, they can occasionally be expensive. Some get away with nothing but service items, others are no so lucky.

I know what you mean about possibly being expensive as my WRX was the same when I got it. This is really the only thing that's putting me off about getting another car atm as I don't want to be left with bills to pay upfront, so to speak. If I do get it a service will be on the cards pretty much straight away as apparently the seller has no service history or not a lot of paperwork full stop :( So that makes it a bit more iffy. I do however really like the Supra's and would prefer a turbo but at the prices they go for its a definate no no :blink:

I wouldn't pay £2000 for an na that has zero history and already got an issue with the engine.

If it needs an engine and you have to pay someone else to do the change you need to factor

in a days labour doing the swap so even at a cheap garage you'll be into way more than an

engine costs.

This is before anything else is required and trust me on an old mkiv that doesn't sound very loved

it will suffer sticking/seizing calipers, radiator failing, heater matrix failing, brake lines, suspension parts etc etc

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I wouldn't pay £2000 for an na that has zero history and already got an issue with the engine.

If it needs an engine and you have to pay someone else to do the change you need to factor

in a days labour doing the swap so even at a cheap garage you'll be into way more than an

engine costs.

This is before anything else is required and trust me on an old mkiv that doesn't sound very loved

it will suffer sticking/seizing calipers, radiator failing, heater matrix failing, brake lines, suspension parts etc etc

Thanks for that Dnk :) I had a long thought about it last night and kept tossing and turning in bed trying to see sense, in the end I was actually swinging towards a no to swapping :( But I think you have helped me make up my mind :D

It's with Adrian Flux insurance mate :)

Adrian Flux came in at £460 for me :( and Chris Knott (my present insurer) came in at £334 with mods declared etc. Thanks for coming back though :D

Thanks for that Dnk :) I had a long thought about it last night and kept tossing and turning in bed trying to see sense, in the end I was actually swinging towards a no to swapping :( But I think you have helped me make up my mind :D

Adrian Flux came in at £460 for me :( and Chris Knott (my present insurer) came in at £334 with mods declared etc. Thanks for coming back though :D

The mkiv is a great car but i wouldn't want an unloved one, find a nice one that's been looked

after and had a few parts replaced.

You could also try LWIB for insurance but £334 sounds about right on an NA

The seller has now asked how much I would want as part ex and I said enough to cover service parts including cambelt etc. I said about £500 and its not far off but I can't seem to find a price for a water pump for a non turbo :(

Any ideas to where I could look or an idea of prices please? :(