The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Racing the Supra

Gaz6002

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I'm into a bit of proper motorsport. None of this drifting, drag or sprint rubbish :p

I've found a series in which the Supra can be raced, so I was wondering whether anyone has considered building a proper, fully developed race car out of their Supra.

We all know that the Toyota-funded cars were effectively a Supra shell on top of a race chassis, but does anyone know of a successfully raced car based on the Supra platform?

The series I've found has three classes based on power-to-weight, so it's entirely possible a well set-up car could be very competitive. It would also make fantastic advertising for anyone involved, and I can guarantee coverage in some of the biggest motoring titles.

So, with that in mind, does anyone fancy getting a car together? We'd need two drivers (with a race licence and some experience, ideally) and some support crew to work on the car.

There would be six 45-minute races in a year, and both drivers would do 50% each. That's a LOT of racing compared to most club-level stuff.

Fingers crossed you can get a couple of decent sponsors mate (for the car not the heroin addiction!!)

That's what it'll hinge on... but as I say, the amount of eyeballs I can get looking at sponsor logos should help in that stretch! Plus the fact that the car could be stored at a business premises between races, and hospitality package could be arranged for clients including hot laps etc.

I've got a good business case - just need a team now! :)

I am not talking about track days. A little more serious than that!

I kick serious ass on Forza and can do a lap without crashing. I can be your main/only driver :)

But as Graham said, Steve Linton might be good to get on board, as he did well in the saloon race series he was in with the Whifbitz Supra, before he stopped racing.

On Supraforums.com there are several people with some serious roadrace Supras. Best to start a thread over there ;)

Few from the top of my head:

- Curtis (SF name: Mykarisvicious)

- Joshua --> Lovely car this one

- TwinsTurboMotorsport

- Shane (SF name: Dynomite)

- Another Swedish guy (not from above), but forgot his screenname. 3.4l 67mm, winner of gatebill if I recall correct.*

- The full carbon Supra also from Sweden

* edit: starting at 9:20

Edited by MK2 (see edit history)

On Supraforums.com there are several people with some serious roadrace Supras. Best to start a thread over there ;)

Few from the top of my head:

- Curtis (SF name: Mykarisvicious)

- Joshua --> Lovely car this one

- TwinsTurboMotorsport

- Shane (SF name: Dynomite)

- Another Swedish guy (not from above), but forgot his screenname. 3.4l 67mm, winner of gatebill if I recall correct.*

- The full carbon Supra also from Sweden

* edit: starting at 9:20

Those cars wouldn't qualify for the series I'm looking at - building the car shouldn't be a problem since the regs are quite specific. It's more about getting the operation together and then getting the thing going quickly around corners that'll be the challenge.

I can see Chris Wilson being a key person for you here, with his knowledge on suspension and geometry set-ups.

And as good as the 2JZ is, I'd not use that. I'd look more towards the 3SGTE, and possibly see if you can speak with SRD about integrating the 8 speed dual clutch transmission on the paddle shift with the Syvecs.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Interesting.

As already mentioned Chris Wilson would be a great help here ;)

Pretty sure Steve Lintons car was modified from the FIA specs required for Time Attack for the specs required for the touring series he competed in, I think that was weight / power class based too but they were all on the track at the same time if I recall.

What is the series you were thinking about?

Looks good and Toyota Supra is already listed as eligible :thumbs:

Steve was racing in the BRSCC Euro Saloon championship.

Yep :) advantage of 750MC is that I've already raced in it and know the scrutineers and board members, plus loads of people in the paddock. It's held on decent tracks too.

It would be good to show a few of those MR2 racers who's boss :D

I can see Chris Wilson being a key person for you here, with his knowledge on suspension and geometry set-ups.

And as good as the 2JZ is, I'd not use that. I'd look more towards the 3SGTE, and possibly see if you can speak with SRD about integrating the 8 speed dual clutch transmission on the paddle shift with the Syvecs.

He'd most likely be going sequential if building a proper race car.

Is this car to be based on an NA or a TT?