The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are my coilovers buggered ???

supra steveo

After buying some coilovers from this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?302615-HKS-Hiper-D-Coilovers

They arrived the other day with the tops of the units bent, it looks like there is oil leaking from the top of two of them and they make a squelching noise ??? Is this normal and can it be sorted out ???

Cheers for any help in advance

Steve

image.jpg

image.jpg

To be fair to the seller they don't look like that in the picture on the for sale thread so I would say damaged while posted maybe? Obviously that doesn't help you at all though.

I doubt even a courier or the PO could make them leak on route, i'd want my money back

purely on the fact they're leaking

The adjuster rods should pull out and either straighten or can be replaced with new hexagonal hardened rod. *UNLESS* the impact to the adusters has damaged the foot valve. The squelching is bad, (lost their nitrogen charge), but the leaking probably terminal. I can rebuild them with new internals, but very costly. You do get a new piston, piston rod and MUCH better valving. IMHO HKS dampers are buggered as they leave the production line, they are total junk inside, IMO. Entry level for a worthwhile on car height adjustable damper is probably a Nitron.

I can look at them, but you are talking minum £130 plus VAT each to rebuild, maybe more. are the spring seat adjuster rings, and the threads on the bodies all OK? They usually turn to dust and seize up or even split and allow the lower spring seat and lock ring to drop. I am happy to look them over though. If they are leaking they need a TOTAL rebuild though. HKS cannot supply shafts and seals. I suspect they are made in China and HKS used umpteen suppliers over the years. Wherever they are made they are really `orrible ;) My location and phone number are in my sig below. My postcode is SY13 2BT