The mkiv Supra Owners Club

japfest 2014

nevins

So then it's that time of year again.

The time when the club gets together and enjoys an action packed day at castle coombe.

Whether your a new member or an aged member this is an event not to be overlooked. So can we get a show of hands from my Welsh lot for who wants a piece of this day.

I know a few of you are showing interest in this from talking to you so just add your name below guys.

The meet point for members in south Wales will be j30 Toby carvry as in the meet location each month.

Convoy will be leaving here at 06.50 am to meet up with the other convoys

Cardiff Gate Services (CF23 8RA) - 0635 - Depart 0650

1- nevins

2- Tayfun

3-

Edited by nevins (see edit history)

erm it is a case of keep up or be left behind, last year was a case of 90% being left behind :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna do my own thing . Its about having fun. Being in convoy keeping to 60 - 70 , aint my idea of fun . So I,ll see you all there .

Tim I'll fit in with you and anyone else who want's to do it properly

The thing is Nev , if we all adhere to being governed by the speed policed by the convoy , where,s the fun in following behind the rear of another supra at 60 - 70 . We,ve always had a good laugh going and leaving JF, and when you talk to guys that have done their own thing , most remember the drive there, or from JF . Being policed by the convoy speed, and not having fun seems a bit of a damp squib. You don,t have to worry about " the boys in blue " as nobody goes fast enough to break the speed limit . But I do understand the reason for younger members to go in convoy.

Edited by lewysdanny (see edit history)

So what everyone is saying is people got left behind when the "leaders" were only doing 70? I call BS to that. I did a steady 80 all the way there, and got left behind to pick up stragglers.

If people want to give the club a bad name by driving like idiots to japfest, then I'm afraid I won't be part of it.

Yes we should have fun on the way, but the point of a convoy is to arrive together, not for a couple of cars to leave everyone else behind because "it's not fast enough".

If you want to go silly speeds book track time at the event. Simple. Don't do it on a public road with innocent people everywhere.

Jon at what point does someone give the club a bad name . As far as I know , there,s not many members on here with MKIV Supra club livery over their cars , so all it comes down to is doing our own thing. After all said and done its supposed to be fun . In the 6 yrs I,ve been going to JF we,ve always had fun . To go at a reasonable speed and safely is fine in my book , especially as its 0630 on a Sat morning . And for the reason you have given is why I,ll do my own thing .

I left the regimental ways of Army life a long time ago .

So what everyone is saying is people got left behind when the "leaders" were only doing 70? I call BS to that. I did a steady 80 all the way there, and got left behind to pick up stragglers.

If people want to give the club a bad name by driving like idiots to japfest, then I'm afraid I won't be part of it.

Yes we should have fun on the way, but the point of a convoy is to arrive together, not for a couple of cars to leave everyone else behind because "it's not fast enough".

If you want to go silly speeds book track time at the event. Simple. Don't do it on a public road with innocent people everywhere.

lol ,lol, lol, Listy get off your high horse, I've driven in convoy with you before and we had a great time (2 years ago springs to mind)

Most club convoys (ones that we dont do ourselves) have resulted in driving down the motorway at 50 -55 mph, what a joke. If you are in a convoy you react to those in front and behind.

Last year as we left the services we all got intercepted by other jap cars going around the roundabout, so all let out at different times didn't see any attempt by people behind to stay together while cars at the front were crawling. Hence we aint bothering with that sort of pointless exercise again, if you aint going to drive at 70 dont bother as we will just leave

I remember one year when we went to Suprapod and we were just leaving the services and John (vvteye) decided he needed petrol. Convoy left and despite a quick splash and dash John mananged to catch up within a few miles.

lol ,lol, lol, Listy get off your high horse, I've driven in convoy with you before and we had a great time (2 years ago springs to mind)

Most club convoys (ones that we dont do ourselves) have resulted in driving down the motorway at 50 -55 mph, what a joke. If you are in a convoy you react to those in front and behind.

Last year as we left the services we all got intercepted by other jap cars going around the roundabout, so all let out at different times didn't see any attempt by people behind to stay together while cars at the front were crawling. Hence we aint bothering with that sort of pointless exercise again, if you aint going to drive at 70 dont bother as we will just leave

I remember one year when we went to Suprapod and we were just leaving the services and John (vvteye) decided he needed petrol. Convoy left and despite a quick splash and dash John mananged to catch up within a few miles.

That's about the strength of it . Listy what we have said is no reflection on you personally , its a fun day, and a once a year deal. So we always try to have a laugh on this one time per year get together . Downimpact reflects the thoughts of other lads who came with the club last year , but don,t want the aggro of confrontation with club personel on here.

I don't mind having a bit of fun on route (a couple of pulls Jon ;))

Really, last year was the first time that convoy had been attempted, and people are giving up on it already.

The reason we weren't going fast at the start was because a couple of members were joining us on route, so had to allow them to join us. Once they were with us, we sped up.

Either way, there hasn't been much interest so far anyway, so I'll probably tag on with the south west crew.

I'll give it a week or so to see if there is any other interest, if not, I'll just pull the thread as a no go.

Right lads, a few points here. I may repeat myself, and I apologise for that. I am not looking for confrontation, just trying to make the JF convoy as good as it can be.

1- I understand the frustration you may have had last year, but again, it was the first year we tried that convoy, and it was always going to have some teething problems.

2- Club Disrepute: There are threads all over the internet with regards to JapFest convoys. A large group of Supras going down the M4 at 0700, with timings stated on the forum, doesn't take a genius to put two and two together. We all know the Police trawl the forums, especially with the show season coming up.

3- Last year we had two members join us on the M4, which is why we started off slowly. This year, I will be doing my best to avoid that happening again. All members will need to meet at a meet location, or catch up/slow down on route to join us.

4- I don't mind if during the convoy, people want to have a few "pulls" against each other. Just bear in mind those behind you that may not want to gain points on their licences, and once you have had a bit of fun let the rest catch up. Bear in mind this may require you to slow down a little for 5 minutes. Not a big ask.

5- The point of a convoy to a show, for me anyway, is to go as a group. Enjoy the company of other Supras on the road, as around here, it doesn't happen very often. It loses all grandeur when there are small pockets of Supras dotted up the road. That's just my opinion. If you disagree, that's yours.

6- Last year we got split up because of another convoy passing through the roundabout. If that happens again this year, maybe wait for the other convoy to go past, so we can all get out together? May be a simple solution ;)

7- Don't forget, we did have NA's with us last year, so you have to account for them too ;)

I would love to have the Wales guys with us again this year, and honestly feel quite disheartened that you don't want to give this (potentially gleaming) convoy another go. Not much club spirit in the air :(

At the end of the day, it is up to individuals if they want to join the large convoy or not. Hopefully you guys will rethink your decision and give it another go. If not, no hard feelings, and we'll catch up for a brew at the show.

That's all I have to say really.

Oh, and if I seemed short, or grouchy, I was on exercise in the middle of Sennybridge. It was cold, wet, and I was grumpy all week. So, for that, I apologise.

Guest Knightrider1980

When is Japfest? dont worry lads just found the link for it 10TH MAY, may go to this as it has been 3 years since i last went to a jap event, not sure about being in the convoy tho, will have to think about it

Edited by Knightrider1980 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...