The mkiv Supra Owners Club

End of the Tax Disc

Guest Roger NE

Guest Roger NE

Have you guys heard ? The Car Tax Disc is being scrapped from October.

Personally I think it's crazy !

Sure, the police can check via their radio systems to see if a vehicle is taxed . . . but what about Traffic Wardens, ordinary beat bobbies etc? Why am I bothered about them checking? Well the reason a vehicle isn't taxed is probably because it's not insured . . . and we certainly want to get uninsured drivers off our roads.

But even more of an issue, how does an ordinary person (like me) know if a vehicle is taxed or not?

If I drive someone else's car, at least I know it's taxed because there is a tax disc on the windscreen. But in the future, how would I know? If it ISN'T taxed and I get stopped, I would be the one who's prosecuted !

And there's another (less important benefit) . . . I can simply look at the car and think "3 months to go before it needs re-taxing" etc . . . without a tax disc it means I would have to look it up.

I really think that this is a stupid move by the DVLA.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you didnt have to pay for tax at all anymore and instead fuel prices were going up?

Nope. Still pay like before however as it's all online the disc doesn't need to be on display.

Additionally they will connect the system to insurance companies...

Guest Roger NE

Yes, quite honestly if you no longer need to display a tax disc to show your car is legal, it would be better to scrap it completely, and put a few extra pence on fuel. (to save all the admin)

Then it would work like the Road Tax system does now . . . small fuel-efficient cars would pay very little . . . big gas-guzzlers would pay a lot.

I think it is a great idea. Going on the TV reality shows like road wars or similar (as it has been a while since I have been stopped) even when a car is stopped they still check all the particulars.

the displaying of a tax disc has been not required for years, it is just now that DVLA has spent the cash on a system that crosses over to enable a faster check.

more ANPR camera are needed and if a car is driven with no tax, MOT or insurance then it is confiscated.

Doesn't matter either way, with or without discs. How many cars do you see with out of date discs? I see a few round where I live. If they want to go disc free and do it purely 'in the cloud' as it were, they need to really up the amount of ANPR cameras

Traffic Wardens

Do they have powers? If they do they don't use them in Lincoln.

I think it's a good idea personally, they'll save a lot of money which they won't have to cut elsewhere

They have just made all the people at preston branch redundant as their main process was tax disks. I think its disgusting how big companies and the government feel they can just shit on people from high above. We need to make savings. Ah well just sack some staff. I dont see anyone at the top offering to take a 15k pay drop out of their ££££££ to help keep someone in a job.

They have just made all the people at preston branch redundant as their main process was tax disks. I think its disgusting how big companies and the government feel they can just shit on people from high above. We need to make savings. Ah well just sack some staff. I dont see anyone at the top offering to take a 15k pay drop out of their ££££££ to help keep someone in a job.

I agree with what you are saying about pay cuts at the top but public sector jobs will always be at risk, surely these people knew the risk when they took the job. The country is in a sorry state so tough decisions have to be made which inevitably means people are going to lose jobs.

Did they have the blissful misconception that they had a Job for life?

Where is the line where people at the top are meant to provide employment? There is always this positive spin if someone opens a new shop or factory creating so many jobs. We then don't hear about the cost saving measures that are employed, losing them again further down the line.

The Supermarkets are best with the automated checkouts that never work properly. Now there are thousands of check out girls without even a crap job to apply for.

Why do *you* need to see if someone has tax? Simple answer: you don't. You need to know if the car you're driving is insured, which is simple enough to prove if needs be.

This is a rare step forwards from the Government. Less paper, less hassle and your windscreen looks better. What's not to like?

Why do *you* need to see if someone has tax? Simple answer: you don't. You need to know if the car you're driving is insured, which is simple enough to prove if needs be.

This is a rare step forwards from the Government. Less paper, less hassle and your windscreen looks better. What's not to like?

Agree with that exactly, Especially now with police using ANPR they rarely look at your tax disc as they already know if you have paid up anyway.

The goverment cuts issues with the removal of local DVLA offices is slightly annoying in regards to documentation, at least someone will tell you have filled the form out wrong there and then so you can correct it/ fill another out. Instead now it takes a week or more to find out you didnt fill out all the boxes correctly or something else minor.

If you're buying a used car in a private sale how can we be sure its taxed if you're taking it for a test drive? Not all sellers are honest and may tell your it is taxed.

If it's not, what's going to happen? It'll be a simple conversation with the copper. They'll probably just clamp the car until it's paid, and you won't be liable for that.