The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ball joint letting go!

Guest Budz86

Wow, that makes me wanna change mine.

The trouble is by the time you price up all the arms with ball joints your not going to

want to !

That's before you pay to remove the old ones fit the new ones then have a full geo done

I'd definitely replace the lower fronts with complete arms if i had another mkiv

Looking at how ludicrously low that car is is it any wonder a ball joint has failed? People just lower away with no concept of what it's doing to the suspension kinematics. As I have said before, just a matter of time before EU legislation bans suspension mods on road cars, and it'll be wazzacks like that who have brought it on. A car that low is both on the bump rubbers most of the time, and either out of, or perilously close to being out of, permitted lower ball joint articulation.

I bet there are those who see the first photo and think, "Oooh, that looks cool, how's he got that much camber?........ .

Looking at how ludicrously low that car is is it any wonder a ball joint has failed? People just lower away with no concept of what it's doing to the suspension kinematics. As I have said before, just a matter of time before EU legislation bans suspension mods on road cars, and it'll be wazzacks like that who have brought it on. A car that low is both on the bump rubbers most of the time, and either out of, or perilously close to being out of, permitted lower ball joint articulation.

I bet there are those who see the first photo and think, "Oooh, that looks cool, how's he got that much camber?........ .

You're wasting your breath sadly Chris :(

Is that this part that has let go ?

http://bit.ly/1nF2bVv

No, bottom arm, outer ball joint. On the JZA80 suspension design this joint tries to separate via tension in bump.

If the suspension is constantly riding the bump stops, the loadings go through the roof.

In times of yore evey man and his dog (and seller of suspension "stuff" in Car and car Conversions) was touting plastic rear

radius arm bushes for Opel Kadetts and Vauxhall Chevettes. I hadn't the confidence I have now so was loathe to discuss

what I feared, that being the original void bushes (rubber bushes with gaps in the periphery to allow controlled articulation

in various carefully considered planes), was not going to be matched by hard plastic bushes that could only rotate in one plane.

When I started seeing rear floor pn sheet metal cracking due to te massive twisting forces the rear axle applied in roll to the floor,

I realized I perhaps wasn't as daft as I looked and a life long interest in suspension kinematics started.

just replaced both of my fronts last year because i felt a small movement in them. You cannot relace just the ball joint, the whole lower arm comes as one peice so it's expensive but you are getting new bushings. 540ish euro for both all new from MR-T.

CW is right, I have yet to drive a lowered car that handled better than stock. And the stress on those ball joints is not worth the risk.