The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New tyres WOW

Bill Prawn

Must admit if i do keep the supra i will be getting the widest toyos on the rears i can, i had them on my 19's on my 300zx and although i usually go for F1's i was more than impressed with the Toyos infact i would even go as far as to say they had more alround grip!!

Mike

Originally posted by Bill Prawn

Just had some Toyo Proxy T1R's put on the soop.

It's like having a new car they seem fantastic even in these crappy conditions.

Best £625 i've spent:thumbs:

The use of quality rubber can truely transform a car and IMO cannot be recommended enough. I recently felt the reverse effect when putting on my stock wheels for the winter. The car is far more prone to random wheelspin with minimal throttle inputs.

When you think budget tyres only really save you a maximum of a couple of hundred quid it really is a no brainer.

There could be loads of owners out there that still have the tyres it came with. The tread depth may be fine but actual performance way down on whats possibly with the better brands.

I have stock wheels on my soop and wish I had the $$$ to get some good uns BUT I do feel the need (and have the $$$) to get grippy tyres. I have had too many nervy moments recently with roundabouts and wet/muddy conditions! And being nervous is NOT how I want to be when I'm driving my dream car.

So with the next 6 months (and the rest) gonna be wet I think new tyres may be a good investment. SO any recommendations anyone???

Don't do Continental sport contacts, its like driving on ice, even in the dry i can get my standard UK to spin up at 100 :eek:

I have no confidence in it at all, plus i found this nice private road once and after a short 155 mph blast they are well blistered and have bits of tread missing now.

Great!

Plus are the Toyo T1 R's the newer ones??

Originally posted by Scooter

There could be loads of owners out there that still have the tyres it came with. The tread depth may be fine but actual performance way down on whats possibly with the better brands.

totally and utterly agree with this - I have my stock 17s on after I wasted my Blitzs and they have some shitty crap rubber on they came with.

The grip is non-existent virtually, even about 25% throttle off a roundabout has the back slipping - SHITE!

Time for some fresh winter rubber methinks

R

Hancook (sp?) Ventus Sports.

Possibly less grippy than teflon :eek:

They came on the car...they are coming off before they are used up...well I might just do a megga burnout or 2 to at least knacker the rears. :D After all there is no friction so the drivetrain won't be under any stress! :rolleyes:

I'm now interested in these Toyo's but I'll prolly go Pirelli or Goodyear....

If only I could find some Kumho MX's in this country - anyone know of a source?

The T1R's are the newest Toyo's.

When I rang some tyre centres they had never heard of them.

I live 5 miles from Toyo and they have a fitter who got a set to try.

That's where I bought them from.

Toyo say grip is better than T1S's and last longer:thumbs:

Alex

Just took off some Ventus, like driving on glass:eek:

Originally posted by hogmaw

SO any recommendations anyone???

Can only go by what i've had

Goodyear F1's gsd3 (not run flats) - Good grip certainly enough to enjoy the sup's capabilities. What i put on mine by choice.

Toyo T1S's - very similar to F1's but they did seem to wear quicker than the Goodyears.

Kumho - Ecsta 'supra' (512's?) - 'OK' but not as good in the wet IMO. (Kumho MX's look interesting)

Star Performer - quite frankly a nightmare in the wet. I swapped these on to mine for the winter and one morning i actually stopped and got out to check i didn't have a flat/deflated tyre on one of the rear wheels such was the change in grip/handling.

You need to be specific ie not just get Goodyears or Kumho's but look into the actual type GSD3, 512, MX etc etc.

Originally posted by Alex

Kumho 712's not 512's :)

cheers for clarifing

Originally posted by Alex

The MX's are a summer tyre which has a big block pattern - good for warm days and track work :) Have only found them in the states though :( [/b]

yep i know the ones, previously i was looking at the similar (older?) Kumho V70A's (Terry S used something similar on the porple car i believe).

These were/are? available from here so they could be worth a call?

My Pug forum buds have been trying the "R"'s.

They've noticed that grip is indeed better than the "S" and almost on a par with the F1. However they are wearing out stupidly quickly...... They've commented that despite what Toyo say the T1-S wears better, but then even they weren't that good.

General consensus seemed to be that they are good, but F1's still have the edge due to wear/grip combo...............

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Paul, if you can, go up a profile to a 35 v 30 on the back at the moment. Going wider is won't help as much.

I personally love S02s, amazing tires, better than the Goodyears and S03s IMHO. And good tires definately make the car, not something to save money on.

They were good - IMHO no better than the F1's though.

Independant tyre test a couple of years back put them dead even - joint first.