The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very Strange Symptoms

Ythomit

Tried a solar panel charger through the cigarette lighter and the battery went flat.

Charged it up with a real charger and now have strange symptoms as follows:

When battery is connected all the front lights come on and nothing else works.

The ignition key has no affect on anything. Nor do any of the controls.

I cannot think of anything obvious other than massive electronic burn-out.

Any ideas would be welcome :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hmmm im guessing your solar charger has caused a loom t I melt somewhere hehind the dash. As Tsia said check your fuses first engine bay and drivers kick panel. Then if they are all good take the dash panels off and investigate the loom. Looking for obvious signs of melting. You should be able to smell it though.

Hmmm im guessing your solar charger has caused a loom t I melt somewhere hehind the dash. As Tsia said check your fuses first engine bay and drivers kick panel. Then if they are all good take the dash panels off and investigate the loom. Looking for obvious signs of melting. You should be able to smell it though.

Oh Crikey. Sounds expensive..... So what's new ;)

I'll do what you suggest first thing tomorrow.

Last time I take the cheap option charger :banghead:

My normal Charger has worked for years but I tried a solar, trickle charger in the hope that I wouldn't need to disconnect the battery and charge it every two weeks when it wasn't being used.

The new, solar one connected via the cigarette lighter which was much more convenient. I hope that wasn't the problem...

In fact the battery died quicker than without a charger. I tried to start it after 1 week and it was completely dead.

I then recharged with the normal charger and got the weird problem as described.

Edited by Ythomit (see edit history)

Oh Crikey. Sounds expensive..... So what's new ;)

I'll do what you suggest first thing tomorrow.

Last time I take the cheap option charger :banghead:

Might not be that expensive mate "if" your dash loom has had it stick a wanted ad up for one. (Pita to fit it) I got one just arrived today in prefect nic for £50. (Thanks R32) or pm paul whiffin he is currently breaking a car.

All has become clear.

Eventually the main fuse blew.

I disconnected the battery and checked the voltage. I was unsure what I was seeing and assumed I had gone mad.

My meter showed the battery voltage was -12v (Yes minus 12v)

Assuming I was going bonkers or that the meter was faulty, I checked the old battery. It was +7v.

I checked the new battery again and it was -12v.

The more I thought about it, the more I understood it.

IE, the JSpec lighter was connected the wrong way round OR it had been modified by some previous owner for some reason.

The amazing thing (to me anyway) is that a battery can be charged the wrong way round

It may also explain why the lights were on as they will operate with the current flowing in any direction.

I charged the old battery up, connected it and hey presto everything is OK. (Except for the fact that the 125A fuse is currently shorted until I can get a replacement)

I will not use the charger through the lighter again !