The mkiv Supra Owners Club

another tyre question

scott87

Ok so by the end of the day my car should be mapped and running a nice single setup. (Touch wood!) the problem is im trying to keep my car looking as stock as possible from the outside. Which it is :)

Im a bit concerned about the thin rear tyres though as im running 255 on the rear, which really doesnt seem like it will be enough. Is there a way of widening the stock alloys, did they make wider ones or what is the widest width tyre i can run?

The 255 Goodyear Eagle F1s on the rear of mine hold up to 1bar well. They don't spin unless I want them to and are very good in the wet and dry. The 285s (18" Michelin Pilot Sports though) on the LMs spin up quite easily and once spun when the second turbo came on in 4th doing 70/80mph. That was scary!

So it's not all about size ;) lol

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

The 255 Goodyear Eagle F1s on the rear of mine hold up to 1bar well. They don't spin unless I want them to and are very good in the wet and dry. The 285s (18" though) on the LMs spin up quite easily and once spun when the second turbo came on in 4th doing 70/80mph. That was scary!

So it's not all about size ;) lol

Ah thats good to know :p

I wonder if the tyres i have will be ok then, well new versions of the ones i have :search: They hold up really well now and are used on more powerful cars too...... Guess i will have to have a good search around and choose. Ill have a look at those goodyears too!

Really trying to keep the stock look so knowing the 17's hold up ok is god to know :thumbs:

Nice to read that someone is trying to keep the stock look :cool:

There are companies that can widen alloy wheels, Dandan had it done on his car, so might be worth asking him about it. Your other option is to go for the staggered TTE 18" wheels from a GS300 Sport. Not Supra OEM, but look the part.

- - - Updated - - -

There are companies that can widen alloy wheels, Dandan had it done on his car, so might be worth asking him about it. Your other option is to go for the staggered TTE 18" wheels from a GS300 Sport. Not Supra OEM, but look the part.

I can get you maxis ma v1 in a 275/40/17 that fits the stock 9.5 well gives a bit more wall height to that helps bite . they currently half price £70

Are Maxis any good?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yer par my bonnet my car is completely stock (and the turbo obviously)

I may look into widening the wheels, but for now it is good to know the 255 width can hold up well :D

A bunch of the Stateside guys have had their stock wheels widened to about 11J or 11.5J for the rear to take a 305/315. Does the trick! You can then put the stock 9.5" up front on a 255/265/275 :) you'd need an arch roll if you want that drastic though!

As long as you invest in good rubber then a 265/275 is more than enough unless you were running biiiiig power. Even then, you'd probably still be ok apart from maybe a bit of wheelspin in 2nd. :)