The mkiv Supra Owners Club

snow/winter-tires recommendations

Kaamos

Hi folks,

Cold days are eventually arriving here and I'm feeling like it may be a good idea to finally get ready with my winter setup..... (hence my quest for 17"s in the WANTED parts section).

I was about to go for stock size tires, conti 830 front and 790 rear (fot they don't build the 830 in the correct size for rear).

Now the thing is, my local tire dealer highly recommands NOT to keep the stock, all season, staggered sizes and go for 235-45-17 all around (instead of 235-45-17front and 255-40-17 rear, that is).

Out of the blue, this sounds a bit WTF to me but I'm no expert when it comes to tires.....

What would/do you run guys as the "least worst" snow-setup ? (knowing that the best snow setup remains a beater while the supe sleeps in the garage.... duh !)

I get that narrower tires on the back will give better footprint and yes I am willing to have 2 sets of wheels, 19" summer and 17" winter.

But 235 on the back seems really narrow and then for having 235-45-17 in the back, I fear the 9.5 stock rim might be a bit too wide, plus it might be an issue concerning insurance but this is another (french) story, gotta check this....