The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Refresh

Stevo

So...

Got a bit of a project going on at the minute, well nearly finished actually, to just tidy up the car and get it looking the way I want it to. The car is '93 NA and has gone in for a full respray. Whilst the engine was out, I decided to smarten it up so that a dirty oily lump wasn't going back into the freshly painted bay.

I will be doing a proper thread listing the whole journey of the car and specs, but until then here's a few sneak pics of the engine... :)

20131201_125345 (768x1024).jpg

20131201_125427 (1024x768).jpg

20131201_124800 (1024x768).jpg

Whats with the SBA on the cover did Mr Hodge work on the engine?

Hodge has helped me out LOADS over the years Matt and much of the car has had the SBA treatment to keep it going (including a nice wire tuck).

Yes, he has helped with some of the engine, including removing it - he fitted the complete set of new main & thrust bearings in the block and also replaced my valve stem seals. The rest of it has all been me and the TSMs.

Engine has been stripped, cleaned, painted then rebuilt with full engine gasket kit (inc oil seals etc), new crank pulley, new oil pump, water pump, new rota arm and dizzy cap. Other parts were simply stripped and either blasted or thoroughly cleaned before being painted in high temp aluminium finish. The blue parts are all finished in a high temp 'anodised effect' paint.

Really nice job mate, looks great.

Mind me asking what silver paint you used - I know you mention high temp aluminium.

It's an automotive restoration paint mate - the finish in the pics looks quite silver but it is actually very close to a freshly blasted aluminium, even in texture too!

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-aluma-blast-set.html

After all that are you not tempted by NA/T

Tempted yes, but at the end of the day I don't have the funds to do it plus I don't like doing things by halves so if I took that route it would cost me a canny bit!

To be honest I'm still happy enough with my NA; it's used as a daily driver and I clock up quite a few business miles in it, so it suits me. If I want more power I think I'd probably go out and just buy a TT.

I just set out to make the car I already own, into hopefully, something close to what it might have been back in '93 and something I can be proud to have achieved. It would have been absolute agony to have had to put an oily, grimey engine back into the painted bay! There are other areas I'd like to refurbish once finances permit - i.e. brakes and suspension but that'll come with time. It is already running a full Chris Wilson custom set up :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words - means a lot when my project hasn't been about power and is 'just' an NA

It's an automotive restoration paint mate - the finish in the pics looks quite silver but it is actually very close to a freshly blasted aluminium, even in texture too!

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-aluma-blast-set.html

Tempted yes, but at the end of the day I don't have the funds to do it plus I don't like doing things by halves so if I took that route it would cost me a canny bit!

To be honest I'm still happy enough with my NA; it's used as a daily driver and I clock up quite a few business miles in it, so it suits me. If I want more power I think I'd probably go out and just buy a TT.

I just set out to make the car I already own, into hopefully, something close to what it might have been back in '93 and something I can be proud to have achieved. It would have been absolute agony to have had to put an oily, grimey engine back into the painted bay! There are other areas I'd like to refurbish once finances permit - i.e. brakes and suspension but that'll come with time. It is already running a full Chris Wilson custom set up :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words - means a lot when my project hasn't been about power and is 'just' an NA

I loved my first N/A but that vandal mclarenross ripped its heart out and replaced it with a 1jz I would probably still have that car if that damn taxi driver didn't kill it.

I can't say the same about my last N/A though the most enjoyable part of owning that was scrapping it :(