The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need quick help to make a decision!!

T14PPA

Hi i need a bit of advice regarding turbos. Im currently running a cheap gt45 turbo. Ive been offered a genuine gt40 turbo for £350. Its got a few thousand miles on it with small shaft play which is normal. The only thing that puts me off is the exhaust housing has been modified smaller to increase spooling time. What do you think? Worth it? image.jpg

Everyone says i should change the turbo because its cheap so i wanted to before the map. But if everyone thinks this turbo is a no go then i will gladly listen to peoples advice. I appreciate it

Just think for a second - Why do you think the owner is selling that turbo? He might know something you don't. I personally don't think its worth the risk!

Just think for a second - Why do you think the owner is selling that turbo? He might know something you don't. I personally don't think its worth the risk!

Great youve made my decision for me. Ill leave it then. Search continues lol. Thanks alot everyone

Its your money at the end of the day, Its up too you what you do. I just think people are just trying to back you up and don't want to see this end in a disaster!

Thats why i posted this. Id prefer to get advice from people then to think i know best

- - - Updated - - -

Just run it until/if it fails. A lot of people get good life out of cheap turbos.

Thats what it looks like im going to do unless i find something else

Why not buy a new cheap turbo. Chinese copy or something from a uk supplier for that money. Comes with a 12 month warranty. You spend same amount but get some come back on it if needs be?......

Thats what i have. I just thought i would be better off getting a used quality turbo

Thats what i have. I just thought i would be better off getting a used quality turbo

If what you have is fine and not in a bad way then i dont see why changing it is necessary. A 'good' used turbo could fail instantly, that is the risk with used parts fullstop.

If yours was on its way out but had been a reliable good turbo, i'd just buy another one new if they are cheap and run that as you know what they are like.

Buying cheap is different to buying cheap-because-modified.

A lot of people get good life out of cheap turbos.

You get banned for a couple days talking like that mate. It's premium city in these here parts. State a part that isn't the most expensive/highest expected performing part, and your be thrown to hang out with the NA guys in uncool-corner.

You get banned for a couple days talking like that mate. It's premium city in these here parts. State a part that isn't the most expensive/highest expected performing part, and your be thrown to hang out with the NA guys in uncool-corner.

I can hear an annoying whining noise coming from your engine bay.

Ive told him im not interested. What turbos are decent priced and are good? Even used?

I'd look for a branded (Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, etc.) 61mm-67mm turbo, a journal bearing turbo will be the cheaper option but if you can afford it I'd go for a faster spooling double ball bearing turbo.

This Garrett T-04Z would make for a very fast, responsive street setup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garret-To4z-Dual-Ball-Bearing-T4-Turbo-Drift-Gduk-Spares-Supra-Skyline-650-hp-/161177254571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2586e9baab

Edited by Nic (see edit history)