The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Big case diff vs J-spec small case

Chris Bailey

A small casing diff won't last long with drag launches on slicks.

A big casing diff is strong enough for drag launches on slicks.

Downsides to big casing is the £1k price tag and extra weight.

That's an upside to a big case because we will be doing a few drag runs on street radials this year :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

This link makes for interesting reading Master Bailey

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?608545-JZA80-Differential-Info!

:)

Thanks Sunny, I'll have a read :thumbs:

While there is very little official information to back this up, Gran Turismo 5s information on the Supra details changes made for the facelift cars, and significant weight savings were made to the transmission and suspension parts. This would also explain why the facelift suspension parts are so much more expensive than their pre facelift counterparts.

While the big diff (especially in UK 6 speed form) is desirable, I would have no issue with using a small case diff on a fast road, small single turbo Supra.

I have the V160 / EuropeanAuto Ratio, 3.538:1 big diff combo, with a TRD LSD Unit.

The ratio is almost dead in the middle between the J-Spec TT6 and J-Spec Auto Ratio…. Perfect combination imo.. Cruise hardly suffers and you get a bit more acceleration.

James what's the best diff combo for mine - large case uk or TRD

What's your thoughts -pm if you prefer

James what's the best diff combo for mine - large case uk or TRD

What's your thoughts -pm if you prefer

Run the ratio you got, you like your drag times so no point in going higher. I don't think there's a big diff in the 3.769:1 Ratio you have now… happy to be proven wrong anyone?

If you want a bit more cruise then the UK Auto Big Diff is an option, but the TT Auto's I've been in don't seem to be working hard at all in top gear at cruise… Plus you have 19's so the gearing's probably up a bit anyway.

Strength wise, with those 17" drag radials you have and the amount of times a year you get on the strip, a small case will probably be ok.

Get a decent LSD unit installed in your diff and you will see traction improve though… TRD or Giken if feeling flush :D

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)