The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Real Cost of fitting a Turbocharged Engine

Guest Roger NE

Guest Roger NE

I keep reading about people fitting GTE engines in their N/A cars, and then having to upgrade the gearbox (and probably the diff too) and wonder if it's worth it?

The cost of fitting a 2JZ-GTE plus V160 in an N/A car (let alone a lower ratio Diff too) seems to be HORRENDOUS, especially if you have to pay a garage to do the work.

So what is the TOTAL cost (with EVERYTHING) of doing that?

Surely it would be cheaper for people who want a Turbocharger to sell their N/A and just buy a TT Car?

Even people that turbocharge their N/A engine seem to spend a fortune on all the parts . . . and then really need to fit a V160 or at least an R154 (plus the extra cost of modifying it)

I just wouldn't have thought it worth it . . .

And in terms of re-sale value, surely a lot of people are put off buying a modified car? (ie wouldn't they rather buy a stock TT than an N/A that has had one put in?)

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Well it depends on their car.

Some people have great NA's and then decide upgrading just the engine.

It's part of the modifying world and costs are expected.

If you've put a lot of love and time into a car it makes sense.

Costs vary on the application and prices on purchase really

Normally you just get complete engine + gearbox set for easier installation. Also 6 speed TT's are not THAT common, most people doing auto NA to auto TT conversion, where you do not have to upgrade much at all and auto boxes costs peanuts anyway. I for once prefer automatic transmission (yes i had all types - 5 speed, 6 speed etc.)

Yea its a huge expense upgrading everything and probably cheaper to find the car with it in. My NA came with the v161 and it seemed a shame not to bolt a turbo to the front end so the cost wasnt that much as i didnt have to change the box or diff. But its probably turned out alot more time consuming and expensive than first thought.

Though its nice being able to stand back and admire your work/ achievements.

Plus everyone knows NA-Ts are much cooler ;)

I won't be turbo-ing mine for the same reasons Roger has mentioned, the cost and expense, plus it's my only car so couldn't do without it while the work was being done.

If (when) the turbo bug bites I'll sell my na then get a tt or na-t that's already finished.

The cost of fitting a 2JZ-GTE plus V160 in an N/A car (let alone a lower ratio Diff too) seems to be HORRENDOUS, especially if you have to pay a garage to do the work.

So what is the TOTAL cost (with EVERYTHING) of doing that?

Surely it would be cheaper for people who want a Turbocharger to sell their N/A and just buy a TT Car?

Even people that turbocharge their N/A engine seem to spend a fortune on all the parts . . . and then really need to fit a V160 or at least an R154 (plus the extra cost of modifying it)

I just wouldn't have thought it worth it . . .

Nail on head.

If you want a 6 speed TT, there are only 2 cost effective ways of doing it. That is to either buy a 6 speed TT, or find one of the ultra rare 6 speed N/As and drop a TT lump in. This isn't any cheaper than buying a 6 speed TT though, as the resale value is lower.

I cringe when I read the all too regular noob threads, which usually read "I want a 6 speed single/TT, but I'm going to save money and buy an NA first, and then convert it later". That is more expensive! Why can't people just save for a little longer?

Maybe those who turbo charge their NA have the iterest to learn rather than (and im not saying this is anyone here) just simply buying a tt. I do see plenty of noob threads that read the same but there are plenty of guys on here who have and are doing NA-t/NA-tt not because its cheaper but because they wish to keep their own pride and joy and do a little learning along the way. Anyone who thinks moddifying cars is cost effective needs locking up.

If we all simply purhcased TTs this site would be a pretty boring place. Just my thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry just reread that first line and it reads very defensively , its not intended that way, just another point of view.

I think there are exceptions to all of this though.

For example. If I had owned an N/A for a number of years, worked on getting the chassis up to standard and making the car as good as I could (other than power) then I would be more inclined to look to upgrade my own cars power via a N/A-TT transplant.

Selling a known N/A to buy an unknown TT might not be as cut and dry, financially, as you think it is. The fact that the worry of cost comes into play almost speaks volumes about the type of TT that is going to be bought. For me the difference in cost wouldn't come into it, there are a number of other things I would be considering way before looking at how much my car would be worth once I came around to selling. If selling was even in my mind I would just do that anyway.

For example. If I had owned an N/A for a number of years, worked on getting the chassis up to standard and making the car as good as I could (other than power) then I would be more inclined to look to upgrade my own cars power via a N/A-TT transplant.

Selling a known N/A to buy an unknown TT might not be as cut and dry, financially, as you think it is. The fact that the worry of cost comes into play almost speaks volumes about the type of TT that is going to be bought. For me the difference in cost wouldn't come into it, there are a number of other things I would be considering way before looking at how much my car would be worth once I came around to selling. If selling was even in my mind I would just do that anyway.

Your scenario works, if you initially buy an NA because you want an NA. I would say that a decent percentage of people who buy NAs do so with a mind to turbocharging in the future, in which case buying an NA is foolish (with the exception of FLYs scenario)

But, in your scenario, you'd probably still be better of selling your top of the market NA, and buying a decent TT from a known source.

I know for some people, the financial implications aren't a priority, but this thread is about the financial costs.

I may be newish to supra's but not to working on cars I have an na that im doing a tt transplant on might not be the cheep way to do it but with the tt engine out I can change all those pesky old vacuum hoses that split in the hard to reach places with ease and do a forged rebuild before putting it in

this may be stupid but i have a completely rust free facelift na witch will make a nice clean tt

This.

Your scenario works, if you initially buy an NA because you want an NA. I would say that a decent percentage of people who buy NAs do so with a mind to turbocharging in the future, in which case buying an NA is foolish (with the exception of FLYs scenario)

But, in your scenario, you'd probably still be better of selling your top of the market NA, and buying a decent TT from a known source.

I know for some people, the financial implications aren't a priority, but this thread is about the financial costs.

I'd put myself in the smaller group of crazy people who actually wanted an na first.

As a few have mentioned, a lot if it comes down to what you feel for the car, and what you've put into it.

Right now if I had the money I'd sell the na and buy a turbo, but if say its a year later and I've put £££s towards making the na my own, i might be more inclined to keep it and swap out the engine.

I may be newish to supra's but not to working on cars I have an na that im doing a tt transplant on might not be the cheep way to do it but with the tt engine out I can change all those pesky old vacuum hoses that split in the hard to reach places with ease and do a forged rebuild before putting it in

this may be stupid but i have a completely rust free facelift na witch will make a nice clean tt

And you'll end up with a lovely car :cool:

But, from a financial standpoint (which is what this thread is about), it makes no sense. It would actually make more sense to fit a 1JZ from a Soarer.

Im an N/A owner whos thinking about going NA/T. I'm on my second N/A which is an aerotop. My first was a hard top which I was beginning to think about selling and getting a TT6 but it was written off and I got peanuts from the insurance company (sky)

Anyway, Short of finding a good GZ I was never going to get what I wanted which was a manual turbo aerotop, so Im building one.

Anyway, Short of finding a good GZ I was never going to get what I wanted which was a manual turbo aerotop, so Im building one.

That's a grey area. If I were looking for a manual, turbo aerotop, I would prefer one based on a GZ. But as you pointed out, GZs are rare enough, and they would still require the 6 speed transplant. Probably the most cost effective solution in this scenario would be to buy a 6 speed TT, and an na aerotop, and swap all the bits over. An NA in a TT6 shell *shouldn't* be worth an less than any other NA, as the shells are worth a premium. (albeit, a small one)

Guest Roger NE

Interesting that nobody quoted any typical figures for the COST of an N/A vs TT Car, or the various engines & gearboxes !

As some of you may know, I'm actually a Mk3 Supra owner . . . on here because I have been fitting a 2JZ-GE in my Mk3.

What's interesting is that there has always been far less difference in price between the N/A and Turbo Mk3 Supras. Before I decided to by mine 14 years ago, I had driven lots of the N/A and Turbo versions, but decided I wanted an N/A.

I looked at about 40 different Mk3s before finding my mint one . . . and could easily have bought a Turbo version cheaper !

And that's still the case today . . . with the Mk3 it's definitely NOT worth putting a turbo engine in an N/A car . . . better to sell your N/A and buy a Turbo car. (or better still, decide what you want in the first place, like I did!)

And the same goes for people looking to convert an Automatic to Manual Gearbox - better to sell the Auto Car and buy a Manual ! (again, I wonder why people who like Manuals would ever buy an Auto?!)

Maybe they're just impatient (which is silly with a car like this) . . . I spent MONTHS looking at loads before I found a mint one with the Spec I wanted.

But with the huge cost of the Mk4 TT engine and gearboxes, that's why I was curious . . . and started this thread.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

As someone that has and is doing what you are asking about, I can confirm it is a very expensive why to go

I was in a really difficult position, as I had spent a lot of money to get the Supra image I wanted and then decided it was just wrong not to give it boost

When I am finished, assuming I do finish, I would think I will have spent somewhere in the region of £30k plus and will only be running around 400 to 450 bhp

Guest Roger NE
I will have spent somewhere in the region of £30k plus

Blimey ! I would have rather found myself an Aston Martin for that ! (about the only car I fancy rather than my Mk3)

I'm doing a na-t at the moment and for me it was all about doing the work myself and also for the price I have paid for it all it's a cheap manual (r154) big single supra t61

While I respect and even admire the fact that you've done this purely for the pleasure, I doubt it will end up being cheap, all things considered.

As I'm starting to rediscover, there's only one way to buy a cheap Supra - buy one that someone else has just spent a fortune building.