The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto box paddle shift kit

dr_jekyll

hi guys ,

few questions for those in the know.

firstly, is there a steering wheel from a more modern Toyota with paddles that will fit a mkiv?

secondly with the gearbox control modules that you can add to the autoboxes is it possible to programme it so that when you hit manu you have the 3 gears and the overdrive control as 4th?

i.e

in standard maual mode you only have 3 gears and you need to turn off the manu for it to "change up" to the final gear.

I would want to have it as 1.2.3.4. on the paddles without having to turn the manu off for the final gear .

finally . with a stand alone ecu will it control the autobox too allowing for mapping of the changers and speed of them aswell as removing the annoying failsafe so it will shift down as and when I say.

cheers?

Bearing in mind that the Suprastick won't work with the TT valve body, because the TT has electronic line pressure control, so you need a TT box with the valve body and cable from an N/A (as on David P's project), or perhaps a Soarer TT box (not sure how much stronger they are, or if they are stronger).

Here's an extract from the Labyrinth of my effort. :)

T.T. transmission Hybridised with N/A valve-body, Suprastick V4.6 and Lexus IS250 paddles.

The gearchanges seem quite slow on the vid.

was down SRD the other day and Lee showed me the paddles in an supra he has down here.. looks very smart indeed, sure he will post some pictures up. something ill be looking into in the future for sure :)

I'm beginning to think this Syvecs paddle shift, and the Whifbitz hybrid TTs are a fantasy :D I hear lots about them, but no pictures, or other proof.

Before gobshiteing, if you'd care to time the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear-changes you'll find they're faster than several recent 'supercars'.

For the 3rd to 4th gear-change I've sprung the actuator softer, because by the speed you need 4th gear, I don't want a thump in the traction.

Bespoke for me, by me. :)

Before gobshiteing, if you'd care to time the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear-changes you'll find they're faster than several recent 'supercars'.

For the 3rd to 4th gear-change I've sprung the actuator softer, because by the speed you need 4th gear, I don't want a thump in the traction.

Bespoke for me, by me. :)

I didn't say they were, I said they seem slow. I've been driving an '09 plate XKR a lot recently, which is also a slush box with flappy paddles, and the shifts seem far quicker and smoother.

It was only a casual observation.

very nice dave . deffo something I want . I like that steering wheel / paddle combo . I not a fan of aftermarket things id like to look as oem as possible .

that settles it then , im going to sell the porker , and after all my supras (10 in total) im going to just go for it build my personal ultimate mk4

I didn't say they were, I said they seem slow. I've been driving an '09 plate XKR a lot recently, which is also a slush box with flappy paddles, and the shifts seem far quicker and smoother.

It was only a casual observation.

After three years of getting down and dirty research and development with flappy-paddle controlled manualised Supraboxes, my observations have gone beyond "casual".

The stronger the actuator the quicker the change, which is fine up to 300 ftlb where 'fast' becomes 'hard' change, at the mo @ 400? ftlb I have the AEM cutting the timing to 6 degree's before TDC during changes and in readiness for the mythical 500, I'm developing a recirculation-valve that will double-up as a torque-softener.

very nice dave . deffo something I want . I like that steering wheel / paddle combo . I not a fan of aftermarket things id like to look as oem as possible .

that settles it then , im going to sell the porker , and after all my supras (10 in total) im going to just go for it build my personal ultimate mk4

When you have the components, I could take a trundle down to build a Hybrid and wire in the Suprastick.

Going from my old N/A autos to a 6 speed and then to a VVTI tiptronic I would say the tiptronic box was by far the best drive and quickest change then again I'm sure the TT box has more clutch packs then the N/A.

My point being if the stock TT box can be made to shift as well if not better than the tiptronic box from what lee says with the syvecs it can only be a good thing.

The video David P has up looks more like he is demonstrating the use of the system not how quick it changes at wot.

I heard David P was a some sort of dark wizard when it comes to hybrid N/A Autobox :)

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

All the information you could ever want is in the Clubs A343/0E Group.

It's not so dark in the light. ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57

A Syvecs controlling a stock T.T. transmission will have much slower change-speeds, because they can only be as fast as the actuators function.

The video in post #13 shows this change-speed difference, 1-2 & 2-3 with uprated actuators and 3-4 with stock.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Which torque-convertor makes no difference, in fact you can control the stall-speed with the Suprastick, mine has a stock 2,800 rpm T.T. torque convertor set to stall at 1,800rpm.

It could just as easily be set to 3,800rpm, but with a supercharger I have full boost by 1,500rpm so don't waste it.

Edited by David P (see edit history)