The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap GPS Trackers for around £28

Pete

These look interesting.

Load up with a free SIM card from O2 or giffgaff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XDN58K/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Anyone tried it?

Works from 2G signal which should be OK in most areas.

I'm interested in how practical it is to enable it. Is it a button you have to remember or could your alarm arm/disarm I wonder?

I found ti via the HotUKDeals thread which has some interesting comments.

They are good for the money. You have to set it up and turn features on and off by sending the unit a text message which is easy enough, and the unit will reply back confirming that that perticllar setting has been set. The problem is the are loads of features so it's hard to remember all the codes. There are apps available like the Back2you app, so for example if you wanted to arm the system you just press arm and it will automatically generate a text with the correct command and password for the device for you to send. It has 3 programmed buttons, Arm, Disarm and Locate Tracker, with only two extra that you can programe with what ever you like. Someone could be on to a winner if they could design a decent app.

I have mine set to send a text for the following

The toad alarm goes into alarm state

The ignition is turned on

The car battery is running low

The shock sensor has been triggered

The battery has been disconnected

It leaves the area that the car is parked in when armed

You can also set it up to alert you if the car goes over a pre defined mph, handy if you're leaving your car at a garage ;)

It has a built in mic, so you can ring the tracker and listen in to what's going on in the car

It's also linked to the back2you server and for £10 a year you can have live tracking which also stores all the data

HTH

Edited by ScottC (see edit history)

They are good for the money. You have to set it up and turn features on and off by sending the unit a text message which is easy enough, and the unit will reply back confirming that that perticllar setting has been set. The problem is the are loads of features so it's hard to remember all the codes. There are apps available like the Back2you app, so for example if you wanted to arm the system you just press arm and it will automatically generate a text with the correct command and password for the device for you to send. It has 3 programmed buttons, Arm, Disarm and Locate Tracker, with only two extra that you can programe with what ever you like. Someone could be on to a winner if they could design a decent app.

I have mine set to send a text for the following

The toad alarm goes into alarm state

The ignition is turned on

The car battery is running low

The shock sensor has been triggered

The battery has been disconnected

It leaves the area that the car is parked in when armed

You can also set it up to alert you if the car goes over a pre defined mph, handy if you're leaving your car at a garage ;)

It has a built in mic, so you can ring the tracker and listen in to what's going on in the car

It's also linked to the back2you server and for £10 a year you can have live tracking which also stores all the data

HTH

This looks interesting, I will be getting a tracker for the supra very soon (I almost got the group buy one)

Is the one you have described above, the exact same one in the link in the first post ? (Just want to make sure)

EDIT - It sounds like you only need a sim card and some credit (so it can text you back) and away you go ?

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)

This looks interesting, I will be getting a tracker for the supra very soon (I almost got the group buy one)

Is the one you have described above, the exact same one in the link in the first post ? (Just want to make sure)

EDIT - It sounds like you only need a sim card and some credit (so it can text you back) and away you go ?

Let's put it this way, it came in the same box, with the same instructions, with a unit that looks exactly the same as the one posted in that link. The only additional item was that the back2you unit came with two Giff Gaff SIM cards and some additional instructions they had obviously added. Now the guy from back2you is saying they are not the same.

I would be interested to know if someone buys the Amazon unit if they can get it registered on the back2you live tracking service.

Now the guy from back2you is saying they are not the same.

Obviously - you're questioning his business model or justifying a 500% Margin :)

I would be interested to know if someone buys the Amazon unit if they can get it registered on the back2you live tracking service.

I would be super impressed if they had any issues with that / had motions in place to police it ... ;)

Obviously - you're questioning his business model or justifying a 500% Margin :)

I would be super impressed if they had any issues with that / had motions in place to police it ... ;)

My guess is that they log the IMEI numbers on the units they buy, until someone try's to activate an Amazon unit (which you have to do over the phone) we won't know.

Not really, the chap I spoke to is very helpful. He set the tracker up for the live service and explained step by step all the options and features for over half an hour, he couldn't have been more helpful. Plus they are fully guaranteed so any problems and you can just send it back. Despite all the built in features what I really wanted was something I could track Live on a PC or phone if they car was stolen, so personally I think it's worth paying the extra for the access to the back2you server which works really well and good customer service. I would just put money on that it is the same unit.

As for margin, it's no different from a lot of aftermarket parts we buy from traders on here, if it comes from China/Japan, it can be found cheaper on eBay.:)

Edited by ScottC (see edit history)