The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on this please

sean2kuk

Hello everyone.

I have a budget of 9000-9500 and I asked jm-imports to find me one

They got back to me with this.... (hopefully the pics uploaded)

A white grade 4 1997 59000km facelift (not vvti)

What do you guys think? Could I get better for my money?

Seems to have all the goodies of a facelift other than the engine. For that sort of money I would be pushing for a VVTI engine AND a 6 Sp gearbox.

I'm not sure whether it is really possible to warrant the mileage on an import. If not - then it is fairly irrelevant - condition of the car and service records are key. my personal preference is to have a car with UK history / Club member owned / serviced by a trusted trader.

The print on those seats.... :faint:

Edited by imi (see edit history)

That is a lovely car, and is undoubtedly as good as a pre VVTi auto is going to get. Bear in mind that the most that one of these would ever normally sell for would be circa £7k in a private sale.

However, at your budget, i'd probably be aiming for a non VVTi 6 speed TT, or a VVTi tiptronic TT.

Pro's

It does look mint and grade 4 is as good as it gets these days

Non vvti slightly more simple with its regular throttle cable, and no speed converter issues

Large uk brakes

Con's

Vvti's meant to be and feel torquier

Resale in a year and you might struggle to find a buyer without taking a bit of a hit but that's true of most trader buys and is a simple factor in Jurgens case of securing a good car.

General Comments, you could do a lot worse if you are planning for a long time keeper, seats look like normal facelift cloth, I'd want a limited slip diff it may not have one, do you like the overall look? You are probably paying a bit of a premium for the very low mileage when anything sub 100k Km's is still low IMO.