The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na Performance

scott87

Ok well i used a title that i knew would attract people :p

Basically just wanted to check something regarding my car. Im in the middle of a turbo conversion but have had to stop as i couldn't drill the sump the other day. so instead so have just fitted some of the parts as i have sold the na versions.

Ok so my car is running an AEM FIC6 that is currently just passing the standard signal straight out, it no longer has the silencers under the car or either of the cats. Both of these mods were done before today. (that bits important)

Today i fitted the cam breather filter and a ridiculously huge K and N filter, the sort of thing that makes you laugh because its just soo stupid. Anyway why in gods name has my car got soo much quicker? Induction kits are just for fun and a bit of loud noise, or coupled with the other things has it actually made the car better? Im being deadly serious, it feels as savage as my 300bhp mr2! :-o

Anyway here is a pic for you all to laugh at:

No idea, how shaty was the old air filter?

Also N/A without any cats is one loud car

Mine has a custom made exhaust so sounds really nice and isnt overly loud.

The filter was less than 2 years old and running a stock airbox. The car also just made over 200bhp on the dyno so is healthy before the changes...

That is one huge filter!!

When I had an autobahn 88 manifold, double decat and apexi hard pipe induction the car was more responsive and felt better.

It is massive. Looks the same as some of the ones off of 1100bhp monsters :rolleyes: Looks funny though!

Yer just strange the filter has made such a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

That breather filter looks like the same material you clean the dishes with!

Its a ramair filter, used them in the past on bikes and my mr2 so went with what i know :)

It is massive. Looks the same as some of the ones off of 1100bhp monsters :rolleyes: Looks funny though!

Yer just strange the filter has made such a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a ramair filter, used them in the past on bikes and my mr2 so went with what i know :)

Seems to have done the job :thumbs:

Never seen one like that breather filter - Only seen the K&N ones!

Seems to have done the job :thumbs:

Never seen one like that breather filter - Only seen the K&N ones!

Im guessing its just as simple as the exhaust was already really free flowing after changing it and putting the huge filter on and weather temps dropping have just combined to make an actual noticeable difference.

Yer they are really tightly woven plastic thread. Work pretty well or have done for me in the past.

Yer guessing it's a combination of all the small changes.

Making the turbo waiting even more difficult!

My bad its been a long day! I thought it was turbo charged and obviously colder air means denser means creating boost more quickly, might help with an N/A engine but less so than the use of the word savage I would have thought :/

My bad its been a long day! I thought it was turbo charged and obviously colder air means denser means creating boost more quickly, might help with an N/A engine but less so than the use of the word savage I would have thought :/

Yer savage is a bit extreme i suppose, but from a rolling start in second there is a considerable difference.

Not really sure what to compare it too other than my mr2 as thats all i've had.

Here is a vid anyway (Done on a track)

http://s588.photobucket.com/user/langers_2004/media/2014-01-21091342_zpsf7371551.mp4.html

Never heard of a savage NA.

It's hard to compare against without having another Supra there

haha yer probably wrong term.

But you can see in that video i spin the wheels up in second under acceleration at the top of the gear and that was on dry tarmac.

I'd say that's more to do with either the road surface or the tyres.

Surface is really good, its a usual foot down location and the tires were nicely warmed up.

But either way it is a nice step in the right direction before the turbo goes on in the next couple of days :)

Interesting thread :)

Maybe it also helped to get rid of those resonators that are located on the bottom of the OEM intake pipe?

Seems like this is a hardpipe now on the pic?

Im pretty sure the resonators are just sounds related are they not?

It is just a hard pipe now so i guess that does give the air a 'smoother' path.

If i had the spare cash i would dyno it before the turbo gets strapped to it to compare to the one i had done the other week just for fun....