The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Description - Supra FI ?

Pete

I've always insured my car with elephant or bell direct (All the same company - Admiral I think).

By default my reg number brings up that I have a "Supra FI".

Now there's no such thing, so I ended up arguing on the phone years ago to get a description that matched. Non turbo Supra..but was a good hundred quid or more expensive. Well, I must get this right I thought at the time.

I just realised that FI could mean - Foreign Import - ie, as it was described on my DVLA reg certificate.

Anyone else come across this?

Playing with the quotation it's a major saving in premium to choose FI !!!

You can never get any sense out of them - especially it's now gone to India. It's like the old AI programs that only have four or five answers and anything out of the 'norm' throws up the standard error "I'll have to ask my supervisor"

Thing is - they have so many options that are open to interpretation, how can they legally say you've made the wrong choice? Especially when it's an "Internet Only" company!

I thought that, but the years don't tie up.

Weird. I just rang them and asked me what the model was. I say "RZ-S". They say "We do not have that model good bye"

What? But I insured one through their company just 6 months ago! :mad:

I hate insurance companies.

So a Non turbo could be described as fuel injected I reckon...

I convinced it works like this....

User gets quote online....

Supra FI 1994 Model quote, lets call it Z (600 quid)

User phones up, to state it is an import...

Number generator kicks in picking a random number from 200 to 2000...lets call it X...

And the operator goes "Ah sir, since it is an import we can only quote that at Z+X, thank you sir....

Gav

PS : Wonder what would happen if a few us phoned up with exactly the same spec, in a postcode that is the same risk rating... might be worthwhile...

FI could mean:

Forced Induction (turbo'd)

Fuel Injection

Foreign Import

Personally I just quote for a UK spec on their site then phone and say all the details are the same except it's an import and I want it stated on the policy.... they stick around £200 on top, job done.