The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine bay overhaul (pic heavy)

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, some of you may have seen my progress on bookface, but I thought i'd chuck a thread in here to show what i've been up to........

Unfortunately, I haven't got any pics of my engine bay when i bought the car, but it was in a pretty messy state. I'd previously painted the turbo pipes, and added some red hoses, but it looked crap to be honest, so over the last few weeks, i've stripped it back, and had a proper tidy up ;)

Here's how it was

I started of by removing the turbo system pipes again, and trying my hand at polishing them. This really is a mundane job, and i'd recommend that anyone wishing to do the same, seriously questions their sanity first !

I think I had about 30 hours of sanding and polishing at this point !

I also figured it would be a good idea to replace the cam cover gaskets, and stripped the inlet side down, to do the inlet manifold and throttle body.

I wanted to get rid of the stock viscous fan and shroud, to make it look a bit neater. So I made a custom shroud to suit a stock rad, to house 2 x 12" spal type fans. After making a plug and mould, the first one turned out like this

Fitted a new cambelt and water pump as part of the winter overhaul - so that should hopefully buy me a few years peace of mind :thumbs:

Painted the bay in satin black, and fitted everything back up - with carbon wrapped accents throughout such as the plug cover, custom air box, custom abs and bmc covers, and new fan shroud. Also painted up the alternator, and water pump/power steering pump pulleys

Before

After

And the end result

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Scott, I used industrial grade satin black on everything, it's basically heavy duty machinery paint, and comes in aerosol cans. Obviously I used etch primer first on the aluminium parts.

The chrome paint that I used on the pulleys, radiator and top rad hose is plastikote chrome. It's really good, but will rub off if you are rough with it. A gentle wipe down is fine though.

I made the covers with sheet aluminium, and small brackets to fix them down. They're held with dzus quarter turn fasteners, so lift off in seconds. Then wrapped them in carbon vinyl.

I might make moulds, and then do real carbon ones

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Scott, I used industrial grade satin black on everything, it's basically heavy duty machinery paint, and comes in aerosol cans. Obviously I used etch primer first on the aluminium parts.

The chrome paint that I used on the pulleys, radiator and top rad hose is plastikote chrome. It's really good, but will rub off if you are rough with it. A gentle wipe down is fine though.

I made the covers with sheet aluminium, and small brackets to fix them down. They're held with dzus quarter turn fasteners, so lift off in seconds. Then wrapped them in carbon vinyl.

I might make moulds, and then do real carbon ones

Brill thanks. I will look for that chrome paint! :D

What would you want to make me up a couple of those boxes, if you would?

Thanks chaps.

As for the covers, I only made them initially as I'd seen some bays with them, but didn't know where to get them. It was only after making them, I realised srd do them!

Mine aren't quite as elaborate as theirs, but do the job just fine. As for cost, id say that mine cost me a few £ at the most, mainly because I already had the aluminium sheet, wrap, and fasteners.

If I copy them in composite, and do fibreglass and/or carbon fibre versions, they won't be expensive ;)

Thanks chaps.

As for the covers, I only made them initially as I'd seen some bays with them, but didn't know where to get them. It was only after making them, I realised srd do them!

Mine aren't quite as elaborate as theirs, but do the job just fine. As for cost, id say that mine cost me a few £ at the most, mainly because I already had the aluminium sheet, wrap, and fasteners.

If I copy them in composite, and do fibreglass and/or carbon fibre versions, they won't be expensive ;)

To be honest i would be happy with just bog standard aluminum ones and ill paint them up. If i paid for the materials, would you be interested in making me a couple up?

Thanks gents :)

Scott, I might make some composite ones, and then you can but my alu ones if you like. I'll be in touch :)

Dim, tell me about it - much to the wife's dismay though lol! Truth be told, the little one sleeps mostly, so I run off to the garage to play :D