The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advice on hks fcon or similar

cainhead

Hello,

Bit of advice needed. I have gone BPU on my 95UKTT and was thinking I should get some sort of ecu piggy back to help control afr etc. The reason I mention the HKS Fcon is that I am heading to Tokyo next month and wondered if it's worth trying to pick one up whilst I am there. With the exchange rate being really good right now, I thought it would be worth investigating to see if I can save a decent amount of cash.

So what I'm asking is, can I get one in Japan for my spec car and does anyone know where to order from.

Also what's the pros/cons to the hks unit against other brands.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Thanks for the reply, would you know what sort of price I would be looking at for the mapping.

An Fcon pro is a full stand alone ECU, and pretty good too. Theres a few mappers in the UK, TDI south are not far from you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also anyone any ideas on the question about finding hks in Tokyo.

Cheers

You will also need to budget for the wiring harnesses and sensors.

I used an HKS FCON Pro with my GT35R install, very capable standalone ECU, the car was very reliable and behaved like stock, however I chose to use it because the mapper was a good friend, trained at HKS in Japan and had mapped 100's of road a track cars. The FCON ECU's can only be mapped by an HKS Pro dealer so you are limited to who can map the car, if you have a trusted mapper local to you then it would be a good choice, if you don't then it would be false economy.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Thanks Nic, any other recommendations on ecu, or any other devices to control afr etc. I'm not trying for major power, happy with the BPU but just want to make sure it's all running well.

Cheers

You will also need to budget for the wiring harnesses and sensors as well.

I used an HKS FCON Pro with my GT35R install, very capable standalone ECU, the car was very reliable and behaved like stock, however I chose to use it because the mapper was a good friend, trained at HKS in Japan and had mapped 100's of road a track cars. The FCON ECU's can only be mapped by an HKS Pro dealer so you are limited to who can map the car, if you have a trusted mapper local to you then it would be a good choice, if you don't then it would be false economy.

Thanks Nic, any other recommendations on ecu, or any other devices to control afr etc. I'm not trying for major power, happy with the BPU but just want to make sure it's all running well.

Cheers

With the sequential turbos I'd keep the stock ECU and use a piggyback ECU, I'd personally go use an Emanage Ultimate (used an emanage for many years on mine when I had the stock turbos).

Edited by Nic (see edit history)