The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disasterous Dyno!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing grace

Suspected 2nd Turbo not coming on line!!!!!!! Really worried!!!

Engine sounds sweet as a nut no visable reason for the failure of the 2nd turbo that all the guyz could see, no ominous blue smoke no unusual noises!!! So what could it be?? I would be very grateful for your views.................:eek: :cry:

Regards,

Sheena :(

Sheena I agree with Neil, you should have waited to seen mine go on, that probably would have put you at ease considering mine was even lower than your output, and we're both stock besides the cat back exhausts, so maybe it's right?? you were 20bhp up on me which would be from the vvti??

If I knew where to find em!!!!!:innocent:

Or if I had a digital camera!! God I feel so clueless!!!!!!:conf:

Neil kind of you to say but the reading alone is cause for concern she should be putting a damn more out than that!!!!!!!!

I thank any of you for taking the time to look at this post, what could cause the 2nd turbo to fail?????

Sheena;)

Originally posted by Amazing grace

Neil kind of you to say but the reading alone is cause for concern she should be putting a damn more out than that!!!!!!!!

Sheena;)

Only 2 cars got anything decent or even close to what they should be (IIRC) on the rollers Sheena, I've been to a fair few rolling road days before and I don't trust any of todays figures.......

I really don't think you have much to worry about, they were having trouble dyno-ing the auto's. Its not the easiest thing to do, but a place in Weybridge that tunes mini's even managed to get my auto supra on the rollers and get 318bhp at stock boost.........

As I said though, get it checked/second opinion, but I think it will be ok (I hope! ;)) :)

Suspected 2nd Turbo not coming on line!!!!!!! Really worried!!!

Sheena :(

Hi Sheena

How does it drive on the road, can you feel the 2nd turbo then?

Have you got a decent boost gauge, and I don't mean the Mickey Mouse thing on the dash that Toyotoa provided :)

You're not too far from me, I could lash up a boost gauge and smoke it up the road for you. I'll soon tell you if the 2nd turbo is working or not :D

Its not so pronounced with the VVTi, but its still a push from behind at 4-5000 rpm.

Maybe the 5 min true twin conversion would prove whether both turbos are working or not.

As a matter of interest what were your figures today, and more importantly, how did they compare with other similar cars?

As an aside this is why I don't generally stick my car on a dyno when I think its going OK, they usually find something :eek: and then it worries the hell out of you or costs a fortune, sometimes both :(

From Tom's post in the original dyno thread he said his car got 268hp (220@wheels), that's not too bad for a stock car, is it?

If Sheena's got 20hp more than Tom's I would guess that's a fairly respectable figure. Her second turbo must be working to got that much - mustn't it? :conf:

For comparision, my decatted Auto RZ apparently made 302rwhp (approx 360hp@flywheel?)

My car has previously made 350 Thorpower™ with the same spec apart from it's now got a Walbro fuel pump.

sounds to me that if you are only worried about power figures (and not afr readings etc) then Santa Pod @ £12 ish is a cheaper, more fun and possibly just as accurate! a way of finding out your approx power output.

If you've a stock car you should be in the high 13's

if your decatted plus bits maybe high 12's/low 13 bracket.

Over 14 and you're down on power, anything else i wouldn't worry too much about.

If you want to test it roughly then find your own 'test area' and a passenger with a stop watch and time your 0-100 time (approx = to 1/4 mile time for a stock car)

I agree with Geoff that Dyno's tend to cause more worry than relief. Did anyone who is now worried have any suspicion their car was not running well/right before they went?

Originally posted by Scooter

I agree with Geoff that Dyno's tend to cause more worry than relief. Did anyone who is now worried have any suspicion their car was not running well/right before they went?

Nope:), and I'm not now really, the car feels great!, spose it's just talk for the pub really! mine was purely to get a ball mark figure for when/if I start rasing the boost and do another dyno.

Basically Sheena was only boosting to 0.6 and was making about 210 wheels figure at 6000

This they tried to double check several times - so unless there was something vastly different about testing a tiptronic that we all missed - then this looked very much like the oomph from the second turbo was missing

I took it out after - and i have to say that she is a lovely car - and you musn't worry hon - loads of torque there and drives like a dream

In the short try's really couldn't tell and it needs bunging into TTC to check it out properly and just a quick look

I'm sure she will be fine - so dont worry!:thumbs:

Slowdog is going to come over on thursday and try the TTC and then see if he can find out what the problem is, if it is anything I am sure he will find it I hope:D

Again many thanks to all for your kindness it is greatly appreciated..

I will let you know what we find.

Regards

Sheenaxxx:)

Good news sheena - at least you'll know sooner rather than later :)