The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing TT cam covers problem

MattP

Removing of TT cam covers

Has anybody had this problem removing the TT cam covers all of the bolts and nuts are off but there are 4 washers holding the covers on they appear to be plastic threaded is this a common problem as I never noticed this when removing my old n/a covers

And any easy solution to removing them or just get on with the awkward job ?

Just use a small screwdriver to pop them off/loose, they are special washers that have to be renewed when putting the covers back on, once they have been torqued down there is a plastic part that moulds into the thread a bit, makes them a bit difficult to get off. Or just try turning them off by hand.

Just use a small screwdriver to pop them off/loose, they are special washers that have to be renewed when putting the covers back on, once they have been torqued down there is a plastic part that moulds into the thread a bit, makes them a bit difficult to get off. Or just try turning them off by hand.

I never noticed them on either of my old N/As anyway moving on who's got the part numbers for the washers :)

Different part on NA. These act like mini gaskets around the nuts/bolts that hold the cam cover on. Torque on the nut is really low and not a lot more than finger tight. I bought a special low range torque wrench and still split the cover when bolting back on. I replaced all of the gaskets, but did not smea oil on them. In hindsight and on second fitting this allowed the gasket to move slightly as things tightened up. I did strike lucky and found someone who could weld it up.

From what I have seen they all tend to go in about the same place, which is at the front where it curves over the cam bracket.