The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What 75w90 Gear Oil for W58 Gearbox?

SupraP-Z

A few questions on this, would you guys put in fully synthetic? and also im seeing brands like carlube and britoil and comma...are these worth considering at all? or stick to the expensive stuff? Im going to be changing the Diff oil and the gearbox oil at the same time, is it ok to use the same 75w90 in both? Cheers

Cheers dude, just had a read through that. Not given much extra info on the differences between stuff like the motul 300 and a brand like carlube for example. Would you use carlube 75w90 on an N/A? Also doesnt mention whether to use fully synthethic (im assuming fully is best, but just want to be sure)

I wouldn't class myself as a good reference really. Oilman (opie oils) have threads about using cheaper oils ect and considering that you may not change the gearbox and diff oil nearly as often it might be worth using something decent.

I have some of my mates excess oils from when he had a NA and I believe opie oils suggested Titan race gear 90ls for the diff and Millers crx 75w90 Nt for the gearbox.

You are rght about using something decent...but im afraid that for what i use the car for, these expensive oils are just going to be overkill. Im not going to be tracking the car, and its an NA, there is no super performance lol. Thats why im wondering what kind of protection the cheaper brands would give in comparison to oils like millers and fuchs titan and motul, which are all easily double the price, and for what i need, im going to be needing 4-5 litres of the stuff

You are rght about using something decent...but im afraid that for what i use the car for, these expensive oils are just going to be overkill. Im not going to be tracking the car, and its an NA, there is no super performance lol. Thats why im wondering what kind of protection the cheaper brands would give in comparison to oils like millers and fuchs titan and motul, which are all easily double the price, and for what i need, im going to be needing 4-5 litres of the stuff

Is it overkill if it protects the car? :blink:

But it doesn't need changing anything like as often as engine oil as it's not subject to water and acids from the combustion process. I would say for an N/A car, driven like a Christian, and with no power mods, any branded oil of the right grade would be fine. Most towns have a family owned blenders or distributors and they often give good deals. For transmissions subject to stress beyond their design, like N/A gearboxes behind turbo engines, or cars used on track, a high end transmission oil may be beneficial.

But it doesn't need changing anything like as often as engine oil as it's not subject to water and acids from the combustion process. I would say for an N/A car, driven like a Christian, and with no power mods, any branded oil of the right grade would be fine. Most towns have a family owned blenders or distributors and they often give good deals. For transmissions subject to stress beyond their design, like N/A gearboxes behind turbo engines, or cars used on track, a high end transmission oil may be beneficial.

That was somewhat my point though that it will be sat in there for quite a long time, I was toying with the thought of getting some cheaper stuff but I already have my mates leftovers of Millers and Titan for the gearbox and diff.

When I selected what to go for I read the thread in post 2 (good work graham!) and ordered motul gear 300 as it was recommended and Chris had some on offer. Mine is stock but is used on the track though so I like to protect things as best I can.

But TBH I have always serviced my own cars, and whether they are used on track or not, I've always gone for the best I can afford- IE if you can get generic stuff for like £8 a litre at an autofactor, and a decent one is £16 from somewhere like OPIE- OK so it might be 100% dearer- but £24 difference? for a 3 litre box oil change? whats that? A large dominos pizza and two and a half pints if you drink lager these days......... just my 2p.

Thanks for finding those posts Graham, in the end i decided to opt for a "better quality" one. Now the question is, do i go for Motul gear 300 or stock toyota 75w90? Ive just bought 5 bottles of the 75w90 from my local dealership....but the price it came to is the same as it would have been if i had bought 5 bottles of motul gear 300. Which would you go for?

This is what i was thinking...surely the less expensive stuff does the same job as the more expensive stuff, its just brand names at the end of the day. Its a bone stock NA...well apart from a straight through decatted system, and im not going to be tracking it anytime soon, not till theres a turbo on there anyway. Meh, i decided to go expensive anyway, lets see what difference it makes