The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chrome alloys

Gaz B

Are they definitely Chrome ?

If so you need to get the chrome removed at a chromers, they can reverse the process to strip the chrome off

inc the nickel plate under the chrome and then you'll be back to whatever material the wheel is made from

I did a fair bit of research last year for Jamesy and found a couple of places in B'ham that would do it.

Once the chrome is off you can access what needs to be done but it will still involve a lot of work

if you want them back to original and not cheap to do

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Nice one thanks. Yeah they are defo chrome. It looks to me that the Salk on the roads here as stripped the natural cover of the chrome and it's reacted. Ideally I'd like them looking like new again. What are the names (if you remember) of the places that do this?

If they are chrome plated then anything other than stripping the chrome off using

reverse chroming technique is a waste of time.

If they are clear coated polished aluminium alloy then judging by the pitting in the photo

they will need a fairly course grade emery cloth or an abrasive mounted wheel to remove

the pitting.

I did my 3 piece Work wheels and they were no where near as bad as the op's

DSCF0461.JPG

DSCF0464.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0503.JPG

If they are chrome plated then anything other than stripping the chrome off using

reverse chroming technique is a waste of time.

If they are clear coated polished aluminium alloy then judging by the pitting in the photo

they will need a fairly course grade emery cloth or an abrasive mounted wheel to remove

the pitting.

I did my 3 piece Work wheels and they were no where near as bad as the op's

Now all nice all shiny :D

My alloys are Work Dunk, you reckon mine will be clear coated aluminium too? Also, do you remember the torque used to bolt them back together?

Cheers

Now all nice all shiny :D

My alloys are Work Dunk, you reckon mine will be clear coated aluminium too? Also, do you remember the torque used to bolt them back together?

Cheers

They didn't stay shiny long :) they went all black quite soon after those photos were taken.

I would have thought so, pretty sure we torqued mine up to approx 22 ft lbs most BBS are

22/24 but its dependent on if its a bolt into alloy or a nut and bolt like mine were, also how

many bolts there are inc the size and material there made from.

They didn't stay shiny long :) they went all black quite soon after those photos were taken.

I would have thought so, pretty sure we torqued mine up to approx 22 ft lbs most BBS are

22/24 but its dependent on if its a bolt into alloy or a nut and bolt like mine were, also how

many bolts there are inc the size and material there made from.

There's 35 of the little buggers, and its a nut n bolt job, strange bolt head tho, never tried, but I dont think a regular 6 point of 12 point socket would work!

I hope they are like yours, because redoing chrome seems £££££ and a pain in the ass ha.

I WANT WHITE VOLKS!

Cheers for that dunk, website saved!

If I buy another set of wheels, I'll strip down my Works and get them all new and shiny looking :)

Prepare for a shock if you do as they're not cheap, think my order came to around £200. they

are top quality though and the company was a pleasure to deal with