The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Scottish member saying hi.

Guest Melly

A bit about me, I'm Paul, from Dundee and I'm 31. I have a real passion for cars (my wife calls it an illness). Around 95% of my cars (about 54 in total at my last count) have been Japanese and I currently have an 05 plate facelift Honda integra type R (DC5) and a 95 Toyota celica GT4 (ST205). The DC5 is my daily and the GT4 is my toy.

I'm looking to change the DC5 and was all set to take delivery of a GT86 until I started adding up the costs of getting the car turbocharged with all the accompanying mods. With not much change from 35k all done and a future value of around 15k in 3 years if I'm lucky, I just couldn't stomach that level of depreciation.

This brings me back to deciding what will replace the DC5. I want something quite large with decent gt properties as I do 60 miles a day commute for work but it also has to look distinctive and be fast when I don't just want to cruise. 70% of my commute is on some of the finest Scottish back roads so it also needs to be quite agile. I know I'm asking a lot but I must confess I'm a bit worried about selling the DC5 due to it being an absolute weapon on these roads and being a facelift it has an unbelievably short ratio gearbox which keeps the engine spinning up beautifully. I really just fancy a change as the dc5 doesn't tick all of the above boxes either when it comes to the gt aspect.

My question is can the supra cover the above bases. I don't expect it to be as nimble as the integra due to its weight but having never driven one and no garages near me having one I thought the best place to ask would be here.

I had made my mind up I wanted a TT6 but after reading on here and looking through members project threads I'm now not entirely sure. I even thought about the black, facelift, manual, NA Jurgen has for sale then add a single turbo kit that whiffbitz sells to have something a bit different. Would save me having to stomach tyre kickers if I could trade my teg into them but then I wouldn't get its true value like a private sale.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.

Cheers,

Melly

Hi, let me be the first (..EDIT) 2nd... to wecome you to the club!

Good choice looking at a supra, Im sure it would meet the needs you describe above.

I would recomend becoming a paid member (if you havent already done so) and taking a look at cars that come up for sale here, as they are normally well looked after.

There is a good guide to buying one found here;

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

A few of the Scottish lads are having a meet in Glasgow soon. You should stop by in your GT4 and say hi and see some MK4's up close. Friendly and helpful bunch :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?265771-Monthly-Glasgow-Meet/page45

P.S dont count out the Auto, it would probbably surprise you. :thumbs:

Welcome Melly if you are looking for something more distinctive then the supra ticks the boxes. Sometimes I think I'm driving a UFO with the looks I get at the car. As Alex said there's a meet on the 19th in Glasgow probably about 6 mkiv's will be there. You should pop down and see some and I'll gladly take you a spin. Good luck with the search it's a good decision looking for a Supra :)

Welcome dude. The DC5 will be quicker on the backroads but a BPU'd Supra would tick all the boxes you need.

As the other lads have said, you can pop along to the meet and have a nosey around, pick our brains too.

Good lock hunting if you do choose to step up to a Supra

Thanks for the welcome guys. I may take you up on the offer to tag along to your meet in Glasgow as it would be good to see these cars in the metal. I'll post some pics of my old cars when I'm home this evening.

Cheers,

Melly

A bit about me, I'm Paul, from Dundee and I'm 31. I have a real passion for cars (my wife calls it an illness). Around 95% of my cars (about 54 in total at my last count) have been Japanese and I currently have an 05 plate facelift Honda integra type R (DC5) and a 95 Toyota celica GT4 (ST205). The DC5 is my daily and the GT4 is my toy.

I'm looking to change the DC5 and was all set to take delivery of a GT86 until I started adding up the costs of getting the car turbocharged with all the accompanying mods. With not much change from 35k all done and a future value of around 15k in 3 years if I'm lucky, I just couldn't stomach that level of depreciation.

This brings me back to deciding what will replace the DC5. I want something quite large with decent gt properties as I do 60 miles a day commute for work but it also has to look distinctive and be fast when I don't just want to cruise. 70% of my commute is on some of the finest Scottish back roads so it also needs to be quite agile. I know I'm asking a lot but I must confess I'm a bit worried about selling the DC5 due to it being an absolute weapon on these roads and being a facelift it has an unbelievably short ratio gearbox which keeps the engine spinning up beautifully. I really just fancy a change as the dc5 doesn't tick all of the above boxes either when it comes to the gt aspect.

My question is can the supra cover the above bases. I don't expect it to be as nimble as the integra due to its weight but having never driven one and no garages near me having one I thought the best place to ask would be here.

I had made my mind up I wanted a TT6 but after reading on here and looking through members project threads I'm now not entirely sure. I even thought about the black, facelift, manual, NA Jurgen has for sale then add a single turbo kit that whiffbitz sells to have something a bit different. Would save me having to stomach tyre kickers if I could trade my teg into them but then I wouldn't get its true value like a private sale.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.

Cheers,

Melly

The 2 type of cars I was bidding on constantly before putting all my eggs in the supra basket!

I'm more of a pre-facelift DC5 guy tho ;) Wish I had the cash to have all 3 ha! or if I had too, a DC5 to thrash! (My DC2 and my ST202 were bullet proof!)

Welcome to the club Paul.

I've never really liked the bumps under the lights of the pre Facelift model. I had a black Facelift a few years ago which was then followed by a 96 spec jdm dc2. They were both imported by Andy at 200bhp cars in Newcastle. I drove the dc2 really hard but apart from service items it was bulletproof like you said. I fancy a break from NA Hondas for a while and I'll never sell the GT4 so it's time for the DC5 to go.

Cheers,

Melly

Yeah I missed the green one. I bought it new but the combination of having a newly released Rs model that was also bright green led to some rather silly drivers appearing before me almost constantly when I was on the road. I never felt at ease leaving it parked anywhere for long periods of time either so I sold it after 7 months. I bought an S2000 as pictured above then a blobeye STi but I missed the Rs so bought another 1 in white. My driveway is like a game of musical cars at times, much to the disapproval of my wife lol.

Cheers,

Melly

Guest coconat

Wahey! I'm near the border in Northumberland, I own a facelift Teg (>pres!) as my daily looking to get in a supra in the (far) future, also looking to buy a GT4 for my winter toy this year, good luck on your search :)

Welcome Melly if you are looking for something more distinctive then the supra ticks the boxes. Sometimes I think I'm driving a UFO with the looks I get at the car. As Alex said there's a meet on the 19th in Glasgow probably about 6 mkiv's will be there. You should pop down and see some and I'll gladly take you a spin. Good luck with the search it's a good decision looking for a Supra :)

you called? :p

Welcome OP

Buy a supra :-) end of

Hi Craig. I seen your post about going single and I've been looking at the car park outside your house when I drive past to see if you have it back yet. You fancy going to the meet in Glasgow next Sunday??

Cheers,

Melly