The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mr2 Turbo Or Supra? Tell Me More!

Guest sparky3000

Guest sparky3000

Hi everyone,

I am a member of the mr2 club and was think about changing my car soon, I was going for another mr2 turbo but I drove my mates supra twin turbo and loved it!

I know you have heard this and post all before, but I could do with some good advice on supra, as i know nothing about them.

I have seen a few for sale around my area, I want a turbo but all I can find is automatics which take the fun out of driving!

Are they many manual turbos, are there different turbo models available?

What about n/a do they leave wishing for when for the turbo model or are they still fast, I have hear that n/a push around 250bhp??? Is this true, if so what the hell do the turbo models push!!

Any help and advice would be very helpful

Glyn

NA = 220BHP (decat,exhaust,filter) = 240ish maybe little more

UK spec = 320 BHP (decat, exhaust, filter, boot controller,FCD) = 360BHP ish i think (dependant on boost run)

Jap spec = 280 BHP due to gentlemens agreement but believed to be closer to the 320 mark. The UK having steel blades and the J spec having ceramic,so spool quicker. those are 2 basics between Twin turbo, although the J spec have different models RZ, GZ. this is just extra features and not extra power.

Yes you can get a manual 6 speed box for Twin turbo, not that rare as a import but as a UK spec very rare that they are for sale.

also from 1996 on the Facelift model came out with VVTI gave around a extra 20BHP to NA and not sure bout the TT.

Hope that helps :)

Guest sparky3000

Thank you helps a little.

My good friend on the mr2 club stated that these cars can be very expensive to run.

I get good mileage out of my 2 I know there is a lot more with the supra but how do you find it, was other running cost are there?

Or so how does it compare to the mr2 turbo? I have been told an mr2 turbo will beat the supra over the 1/4 mile std v std and a 300bhp mr2 turbo will beat a 450 supra. However by the end of the 1/4 the supra will be catching the mr2 hand over fist as once a supra gets above 70 it just launches towards the horizon.

Is this true, what experiences do you guys have?

also in my NA i get about 25mpg and that is with some booting of it!! Standard TT is about 20ish i believe but start modding and obviously will start dropping.

As for this MR2 turbo beating a TT i dont believe it, i raced a MR2 Turbo and he only just beat me and i mean only just by couple inchs on dual carriageway. (im totally standard by way, and he did say he was surprised how close it was)

A supra TT time is 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, but to be honest that is its weak point :blink: after that the gearing is so good it just eats up the road like you said. I dont know what time MR2 turbo 0 -60 is??

The top speed on a TT delimted is 180 odd on a NA is around 150 mark.

Guest sparky3000

0-60 time on a mr2 tubro is around 5.1

a good n/a mr2 can do it i think in about 8-9 but i could be wrong.

if a n/a is fast or faster then a mr2 tubro then its a n/a i will go for.

they is a lot more weigh t the supra so i don't see how this is pos?

It was a rolling start mate, so thats why i kept up with him we must of been doing 50 already when we saw each other and im a 5 speed manual. If it was off the line he would of beaten me i would of thought.

0 -60 time for a NA = 6.4 seconds i think, obviously there is some mods you can do and it does drop in time. there was a thread a while back about mods to do to the NA and loads were listed, of course people say if you wana mod get a TT. but i got NA due to never having much luck with turbos! but they are very reliable and on stock turbos can run 1.1 bar safely.

I think the fastest 1/4 mile in a NA on this site is around 14 secs (think it was stock, ill check). And Mandy on here has a NA with 260BHP so it is possible to get it up to turbo power without the turbo lag (dont have no 1/4 mile time for her). Also if in couple years time there is always the NA-T kit if you decided you wanted to jump up to around 350BHP - 400BHP dependant on kit

and your right there is a lot of weight!!

Hi matey

I had a play with my mate (lol not any more but thats another story) in his MR2 Turbo, it was the same day as i got my Supra and the car wasnt running anywhere near as well as it does now and mine was a fair bit quicker. His is moddded too and quicker than stock.

TBH matey there really isnt much of a comparison IMHO.

Go for the Supra, bigger, meaner, rarer ;)

Chris :cool:

Guest sparky3000

sorry to ask a dum question but what a TT i take it mean twin turbo, do supra have just turbo's and not tiwn?

the n/a supra is growing on me, it will be a little cheaper to insure also i think.

what sort of room is there in a supra?

also my girlfriend whould like to drive it but she is small (good for some things) she is worried about this as she can not drive my mr2 (just as well) becuase she has probelms seeing as there is not seat up can move up in the 2.

Supra TT only comes in Twin Turbo..... well for the turbo model, if you find a Single Turbo supra Mkiv, it has had a single conversion so check all work has been done that is needed if you want one

Insurance cheaper...ud like to think so wouldnt u :mad:

A import TT or import NA are about the same and in many cases cheaper for the TT....dont ask why coz i just dont know lol

If you want Cheap insurance a UK spec TT is almost half the price. I actually know of a UK TT 6 speed for sale,(£9,999 i think) that i was looking at, not sure if it still for sale, but u can contact guy, if i can find details, he got a website with all the specs if i can find that too!!(he in newcastle area..opposite end of country to me) but they are abit more pricey coz they cheaper to insure.

Room...hmmm :D it has 2 seats at front, plenty there...the rear 2 (yes there are 2) well 2 people with no legs will fit great! lol passanger side not too bad as you can move it forward as passanger in front isnt driving, but of course i have long legs so my seat full back when im driving. But i have had 4 blokes in it before. Boot...couple suit cases maybe?

No seat up or down motion, but im sure ive read the Recaro seats seem to sit lower then standard seats, so try to find one with Recaros ;) . Best test for that is when you go to look for one get her to sit in it.

Guest sparky3000

thank you,

u have been very helpful, think i have made my mind up, just have to now tell her that lol

will not be getting one for a little while (after christmas i hope) but will post and keep a eye on this site on the mean time.

if i get one (which now i think i will) i hope the supra guys and girls our as welcoming as u have been. the mr2 meets are very good.

thanks for now. talk again take care.

Glyn

Guest sparky3000

well if your out and about on sunday would love to have a see.

i have a mr2 n/a at the moment, and my girl has a vts.

don't go to fez really but there seems to be a lot of nice cars down there at the moment and if you down there then let us know and i'll come and have a chat.

my mate drives a evo 4 may get him to come and take some photos we have a new site which should be up and running soon http://www.customcruizin.co.uk and we want lots of pictures to make a custom section where people can show off there rides.

at the moment we sell NOS, gauges pods and stuff like that via mail order.

i got a n/a auto supra and rev3 mr2 turbo and the mr2 is the faster car as it weights less mr2 1350kg and got 240bhp standard, while the supra N/A weights more and 220bhp so its doesnt feel as fast, best way is to test drive a few cars and see what you really like! But the TT supra manual is a complete different animal and will kill the MR2 in a race, i really wish i got the TT in the frist place.