The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Noise from under car on cold start.

Gretie22

Well I'm actually in Hampshire now - Aldershot. Just had a little read up, sounds like it could be the power steering pump, as come to think of it now, sometimes when I'm parking there is a rubbing sound (not on full lock, it's not the wheels in the arches).

If you ever go near Reigate or Gatwick you can always pop it into my place and I'll have a listen. If you get stuck that is.

Can't say I do, but thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be worth checking the power steering fluid levels. The pump can get quite noisey if it's low.

I'll check the levels in the morning.

Read that :blink: how is it checked though?

The best way is what is called the "tipex test" basically you draw a line along the side of the pulley facing you to see if the inner & outer part are moving apart. They shouldn't an you should see a straight white line. I am on my phone but if you look up tipex test you should find some threads.

Hello again, right I've done the tipex test, crank pulley is fine. Started the car yesterday the noise wasn't there. Just been out and started it today, the noise is there again, opened the bonnet, the noise isn't coming from under there. It's defiantly coming from underneath near the back of the engine. Any ideas?

mines does this aswel, and my old TT bk in 2008-9 used to do it, only from cold and goes away when i drive off, few yards down the road. can only really here it at idle, cannot hear from under bonnet only from under the car, driver side/gearbox area. ive noticed it quieten's down a bit if i put it in drive!! dont do it all the time, every now and then, i wouldint really say its down to the amount of time left standing ether as i can sometimes go without driving the supra for 9-10 days, parked up in the garage and it wont definatly make this noise after all that time parked up. its very strange, engine is sweet, car been serviced, checked over, garage kept it over night, said they could here it, it was them who told me where abouts it was coming from. they didint really have time to go in depth as it was in for other work at the time. but they said dont worry about it. ive just put it down to yeah maybe a slight leak on the manifold side of things or just general wear on a some other part. dont effect the car so im not bother, altho i would like one day to sort it out, not a great noise to hear come from youre car really. let me know how you get on,

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)