The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent Help needed starting issue

ripped_fear

Took the supra out yesterday for the first time in two weeks and worked perfect.

Jus gone outside to leave my partners and nothing its just clicking like the starters gone or something, but yesterday it was fine.

The car is parked rear first on a gradient so cant push it out. Any idea on how to get the thing to fire up?!

Thanks jake

do your dash lights dim when you turn the starter key and leave it in place for a second?

Like turtleshead said above its very likely your battery as Toyota will kick the solenoid and starter tooth out making the click but not actually turn the starter or engine when the battery is going dead. Also check to see if your battery terminals are tight as this can also lead to that.

Failing starters usually tend to be a little intermittent for a few weeks before totally failing so i'm be looking at battery for sure.

Tim

Yeah under the bonnet. Starter relay is the relay closest to the engine in the fusebox, up near the red power-in terminal. Starter is under the intake at the back, about in line with the charcoal cannister.

As crude as it sounds try giving the starter a gentle tap... The contacts could be old and sticky.

Failing all that, tow it out onto the road and bumpstart the fucker! :)

Before you attempt to bump it, make sure that the starter is not stuck out and engaged with the flywheel, locking it solid. To check, put a spanner/ 22mm socket on the front of the crank and see if you can spin the engine when it's in neutral.

It should bump ok. Ignition on, in gear, roll along lift the clutch.... Theoretically lol.

Before you attempt to bump it, make sure that the starter is not stuck out and engaged with the flywheel, locking it solid. To check, put a spanner/ 22mm socket on the front of the crank and see if you can spin the engine when it's in neutral.

It should bump ok. Ignition on, in gear, roll along lift the clutch.... Theoretically lol.

Ok shall do thanks for the advice. Theretically if I cant spin it what would be my options?

Does it sound like a very quiet machine gun, repetitive clicking? Or 1 click?

Repetitive clicking, iv had this before but my battery was a gonna, this time the battery appears fine.