The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota GT-86

Guest $uprastar

Guest $uprastar

This has no doubt been discussed but I thought Toyota had made a decent comeback with the GT-86 in terms of design, compared to some of the fairly bland cars they have produced since the Supra ceased production in '02.

However, I saw a GT-86 when I was out and about and in my opinion it just can't compare to a Supra in terms of road presence/looks. The supra TT also has much more tuning potential too. Don't get me wrong, the 86 looked nice from the front but I thought the rear looked a little rushed/predictable with the cheap looking lexus style light's etc... After saying all that I still like them and at least it's not a prius ;)

I suppose this was just a drawn out way of me saying that in my opinion, the Supra is the best car Toyota have ever made & I can't imagine Toyota producing anything as good as it in the near future.

Pics of them both (just because I can :p )

toyota-gt-86-by-trd.jpg suprafacelift2.jpg

What does everyone else think? :)

Tuning potential? There's still lots of things possible if you're willing to pull some dollars.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_juJ7z9zNyI Lots of things are possible, http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/1868-the-brz06-is-for-sale/[/url]

That has a Supra engine in it though :D

Just got back from my in laws house and their next door neighbour has a GT86 in white, still doesn't have the road presence of the Supra.

Saying that, them two cars can't be compared as it wasn't bench marked against a Supra.

That has a Supra engine in it though :D

Just got back from my in laws house and their next door neighbour has a GT86 in white, still doesn't have the road presence of the Supra.

Saying that, them two cars can't be compared as it wasn't bench marked against a Supra.

True, ;)

Why compare the two? GT86 is more of a Celica replacement.

Indeed. This is no Supra replacement, It may be the most glamorous of the modern Toyota range but in no way a Supra comparison. A replacement for the Celica for sure. If they stuck with the 2JZ for it then IMO it would have sold a lot more cars. I do like them and the interior is rather nice but they just don't have the road presence or the grunt behind it. If there is a new Supra it will be a fortune to own one. For many it will be a car to own in 15 years time when they could be affordable to the average joe.

Why compare the two? GT86 is more of a Celica replacement.

Indeed. This is no Supra replacement, It may be the most glamorous of the modern Toyota range but in no way a Supra comparison. A replacement for the Celica for sure. If they stuck with the 2JZ for it then IMO it would have sold a lot more cars. I do like them and the interior is rather nice but they just don't have the road presence or the grunt behind it. If there is a new Supra it will be a fortune to own one. For many it will be a car to own in 15 years time when they could be affordable to the average joe.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note Graham, 8000 posts in two years bloody hell you must need a new keyboard by now :)

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)

I don't think it was a replacement in any way but I do really like the GT86 the one thing that ruins them for me is the standard wheels.

Agreed. However they are deliberately narrow for the right level of traction for a bit of sideways fun.

I've driven a rotrex supercharged version, with wider wheels/tyres and coilovers (so not exactly standard)

And it was great, light snappy nimble

But I can imagine the stock setup would get boring

And I've seen a couple in showrooms and wasn't impressed with the finish, and think the stock wheels look ugly

Just like the last one then.

That's just a Photoshop.

I don't get the point of these threads. It was never intended to replace the Supra so why would you bother comparing the two.

I've driven a rotrex supercharged version, with wider wheels/tyres and coilovers (so not exactly standard)

And it was great, light snappy nimble

Are you referring to a Lichfield BRZ?