The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rods advise for high hp

teddan

I am planning to take my engine to the next stage and let the turbo do some work.

I am running JamieP old turbo a Precision GT42-7675R.

When he was running it, he made around 1100 at the hubs

I will be running the Cp pistons and they should be fine I think.

1. I talked to trevor at real street and he recommend Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam Rods with ARP625+ and his advice was not to use a H beam at all.

2. As I am for the moment running BC sportman rods with the ARP2000 I also asked Dustin at BC for advice. But for 1300rwhp he suggest not tu use a steel rod at all.(even though the BC625+ are spec up to 300hp per rod(1800hp on the crank for all 6)

3. Jamie P used a Brian Crower Pro Series Rods. So that are proven!

I will run on e85(ethanol)

Which rods should I use?

Edited by teddan (see edit history)

Change to the ARP625+ rod bolts with your BC Sportman rods and you will be fine as that's then the same as the Brian Crower Pro Series Rods. The piston wrist pins are even more important as the stock CP pins are not strong enough, so make sure you upgrade yours to the CP PRO PIN 2.250.

Are you still running stock main caps? If so then 1100whp is getting to the level where you should be thinking of billet main caps as well.

I currently run the Brian Crower Pro Series Rods and I will be doing the CP PRO PIN 2.250 and billet main caps this year in a new twin 61mm (equivalent to an 86mm single) turbo setup. :)

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

Change to the ARP625+ rod bolts with your BC Sportman rods and you will be fine as that's then the same as the Brian Crower Pro Series Rods. The piston wrist pins are even more important as the stock CP pins are not strong enough, so make sure you upgrade yours to the CP PRO PIN 2.250.

Are you still running stock main caps? If so then 1100whp is getting to the level where you should be thinking of billet main caps as well.

I currently run the Brian Crower Pro Series Rods and I will be doing the CP PRO PIN 2.250 and billet main caps this year in a new twin 61mm (equivalent to an 86mm single) turbo setup. :)

According to trevor at real street is is not possible to change arp bolts but when I look at BC homepage it looks like it should work. Have you any experience to of the sportman rods? What they will handle after change bolts? as I read it the should be the same spec as BC 625 rods :)

Thanks for the input of the pins! I will order that. I have not heard about before! great!

I will change to billet main caps, but when I was on the mpv website this morning and then the MVP Motorsports Engine Girdle pop up, has anyone tried that?

According to trevor at real street is is not possible to change arp bolts but when I look at BC homepage it looks like it should work. Have you any experience to of the sportman rods? What they will handle after change bolts? as I read it the should be the same spec as BC 625 rods :)

Thanks for the input of the pins! I will order that. I have not heard about before! great!

I will change to billet main caps, but when I was on the mpv website this morning and then the MVP Motorsports Engine Girdle pop up, has anyone tried that?

Based on the website, the rods are identical and it only the rod bolts that are different. They sell the ARP625+ rod bolts separately now which they didn't used to either.

I read up a lot on it but there is no proof that it is of any benefit that I could find. For most girdles, you machine the tops of the main caps flat so the girdle provides support to the center of the caps as well, which the MVP one does not.

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

Based on the website, the rods are identical and it only the rod bolts that are different. They sell the ARP625+ rod bolts separately now which they didn't used to either.

I read up a lot on it but there is no proof that it is of any benefit that I could find. For most girdles, you machine the tops of the main caps flat so the girdle provides support to the center of the caps as well, which the MVP one does not.

Great input! thanks! I will go for billet main caps, upgrade the rod bolts and the cp wrist clips. I have not heard anything that this is necessary to upgrade the clips but I will do it according to your input and it is just a small change.

just a little bit strange that the BC not can give me a proper spec that me rods can handle with 625 arp bolts!

Great input! thanks! I will go for billet main caps, upgrade the rod bolts and the cp wrist clips. I have not heard anything that this is necessary to upgrade the clips but I will do it according to your input and it is just a small change.

Here is why I'm upgrading my std CP wrist pins. :)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?707377-WARNING!-10-1-CP-Pistons-come-with-weak-wrist-pins

just a little bit strange that the BC not can give me a proper spec that me rods can handle with 625 arp bolts!

Using a quote from Top Gear, "It's like asking a submarine captain how deep his submarine can go. Until he actually takes it to the point the hull crushes, he doesn't know."

Personally, I think the stock crank will fail long before the BC rods give way.

ooops. Good to know! I will order the ones you wrote. Thanks! :)

Using a quote from Top Gear, "It's like asking a submarine captain how deep his submarine can go. Until he actually takes it to the point the hull crushes, he doesn't know."

Personally, I think the stock crank will fail long before the BC rods give way.

Hahaha but if the submarine are spec 180 meters depth by the manufacturer. But the say "please only try 130m", Then it is something fishy ;)