The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom fan shroud for stock rad

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, started working on this today, whilst I had a couple of hours spare.

I'm planning on changing my rad, as mine has a few fins missing, whilst doing a coolant flush and change as part of the winter overhaul.

I like the look of no viscous fan, and having twin spal fans mounted directly to the rad. I was contemplating an alloy rad, and shroud to achieve this, but I managed to get a really nice condition stock rad off markssupra.

So I've started making a shroud, that will hold two 10" fans, that will mount to the stock rad, as I couldn't find anyone else that made them.

This is the initial lay up, and I've marked where the fans will sit. Tomorrow, I'll trim it up, and start sanding it smooth. It uses the four corner m6 fixing points, and I'm hoping it'll work really well :)

I like what you have made so far, but imo that's a bad idea. Blocks too much of the flow when driving. Might be ok when stopped and the fans are pulling air though the holes...I say might as the fans look a bit on the small side.

It might appear to be a success this time of year, but when it's hot in the summer... I can see that being expensive. Good luck.

Guest Budz86
I like what you have made so far, but imo that's a bad idea. Blocks too much of the flow when driving. Might be ok when stopped and the fans are pulling air though the holes...I say might as the fans look a bit on the small side.

It might appear to be a success this time of year, but when it's hot in the summer... I can see that being expensive. Good luck.

I must say I agree with James here. Really liking the look of what you've made but I think it will limit the flow of air through the rad too much. Maybe some cutting to make it more of a 'frame' would negate this? Either way, credit to you for what you've done so far!

Thanks for the comments guys, but what about the alloy mishimoto shrouds with fans - do they limit airflow too?

I only ask, as I'd be interested to hear if this sort of design is a known problem, as I know a lot of people run the alloy rads with shroud kits. From what I've seen, the kits available use 11" fans typically, mine are 10" - so there's not a lot in it.

I could drill a few holes, with a small holesaw, to make it more 'porous' I guess. I just really like the idea of getting rid of the bulky viscous fan and shroud, in favour for something more slimline.

I had something similar to this on my old car. Went back to stock fan and shroud. Fans are too small, block too much airflow and performed significantly worse than stock.

I'd rather keep the stock fan and shroud with a view to upgrading the radiator if you're looking to do anything.

Also 12" will pull a lot more CFM through than 10".

Area of a 10" circle is 314 sq in

Area of a 12" circle is 452 sq in

Guest Budz86

I know where you are coming from regarding the stock fan looking out of date and 'messy' in the bay. It's the reason I went with a twin electric fan setup and new rad; looks much tidier. Thing is, I'm pretty sure my intake temps have suffered for it and I notice the coolant gets up to temp far quicker than it used to....nice in the winter but not so good in the summer!

I must say I agree with James here. Really liking the look of what you've made but I think it will limit the flow of air through the rad too much. Maybe some cutting to make it more of a 'frame' would negate this? Either way, credit to you for what you've done so far!

actually you nees to seal the rad unit to the outside of the rad... the fans will draw air through the rad and the areas shrouded will create a funnel effect and air not passing through will be minimal from forward motion..... we use a similar system on the f1 car rads for the show cars which need extra cooling

Although it looks good, what you have done is block off most of the Rad

The Cover is very close to the back of the Rad, which will restrict the Airflow massively

Imagine driving along with no door on the car, it would be really drafty, then imagine having the door there but the window slightly

You should be getting the Idea

If you want to stay with the Shroud you need to make it sit away from the Rad more like this

As said above the other option is no Shroud and use a fitting kit to put the Fans straight onto the Rad, as SRD do with there Kit

actually you nees to seal the rad unit to the outside of the rad... the fans will draw air through the rad and the areas shrouded will create a funnel effect and air not passing through will be minimal from forward motion..... we use a similar system on the f1 car rads for the show cars which need extra cooling

Thanks for all the input so far guys, it's always a good idea to get people opinions to save problems later on.

Jay, do you think the shroud I've made could cause issues?

Should I upgrade to 12" fans - seems a question I should be able to answer myself!

I had thought about sealing it to the rad with self adhesive neoprene foam, but wasn't sure?

Or, would it better if I drilled a series of holes in a pattern, around the shroud, and in between the fans, to allow air to pass through?

I really want this to work, but if I'm barking up the wrong tree, id rather know before I go too much further.

Well, with the advice of you guys on here, I took my idea away, done some research, and you were dead right.

That shroud would be really inefficient!

Now working on phase 2, which will be much better. I'm at the moulding stage, and will hopefully have a completed part over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the input guys :thumbs:

you wont need any extra holes buddy from my experience they will mess around with the air flow through the fans... i do think though twelve inch fans duct more air thats not to say two tens will be sufficiant mate...

Thanks for all the input so far guys, it's always a good idea to get people opinions to save problems later on.

Jay, do you think the shroud I've made could cause issues?

Should I upgrade to 12" fans - seems a question I should be able to answer myself!

I had thought about sealing it to the rad with self adhesive neoprene foam, but wasn't sure?

Or, would it better if I drilled a series of holes in a pattern, around the shroud, and in between the fans, to allow air to pass through?

I really want this to work, but if I'm barking up the wrong tree, id rather know before I go too much further.

- - - Updated - - -

definately seal the rad duct. to rad with foam mate

you wont need any extra holes buddy from my experience they will mess around with the air flow through the fans... i do think though twelve inch fans duct more air thats not to say two tens will be sufficiant mate...

So i've made the 2nd version, which I'm much happier with.

After a bit of research and advice on here, I decided to do it properly, and create a proper mould.

This is the first one out, and I'm pretty sure this will be perfect :D

This is 3 layers of fibreglass and black gel coat. It feels pretty rigid, but now I know the mould works, I may do another with 4 layers, to make it extra tough.

Now I can get rid of that viscous fan ;)