The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

Guest Andy.ecma

Hello everyone.

Ok so here is the thing. I'm in the market for a MKiv. Naturally the choice is endless.... So what I want to know is? should I buy a non turbo or a turbo.

On one hand a non turbo is less to go wrong; a bit cheaper to run, and cheaper on insurance. I know many will say "if you have to consider what it costs, then you can't it." Of course that is rubbish because in the real world of today, you have to consider everything. If the car is cheaper to run then ultimately I have more money to maintain it well. Bonus... But...

I love the turbos. Ok, so I want a supra because they are fast? But I also love the look of them. When I driving along on a windy road on a warm summers day will it really matter?... I don't know.

There is something special about a well tuned naturally aspirated engine. But then, there is a nice kick to a turbo , and a nice sound track too. I think you can see where this is going?

I used to work as a mechanic so looking after the car for the most part is not a problem. Now I work in Music. Sound is important to me.

What I need to know from you guys is, what are Supra's like in the real world? all the nitty gritty, and ultimately which one should I buy??

Pro's and Con's...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for a TT. If you have to ask, go for a TT. On a summers day when an M3 pulls up next to you, you want to know you can kick his ass, rather than just about getting away from the Micra behind you :D

Or if you want, get an NA and go NA-T at some point :)

I loved my NA.

Looked good, sounded great and it was fast.

Not no where as fast as a TT

All the TT boys will say the NA is slow, it ain't no slouch but it's no twin turbod car.

After getting the NA I always wanted more power just because I wanted it, not because I ever got out gunned which never happened but the thought of more power was always there

Guest Andy.ecma

This is true. The turbo has its natural appeal. A friend of mine had an M3 and he thought he could beat a supra. The only thing I said to him was, "Good Luck". I must admit, I've always wanted the turbo..

Guest Andy.ecma
I loved my NA.

Looked good, sounded great and it was fast.

Not no where as fast as a TT

All the TT boys will say the NA is slow, it ain't no slouch but it's no twin turbod car.

After getting the NA I always wanted more power just because I wanted it, not because I ever got out gunned which never happened but the thought of more power was always there

Thanks for the info mate.

I'll keep my eye open for an engine. I asume its for you NA, will they go straight in? what about the drive train? is it the same as the TT?

This is true. The turbo has its natural appeal. A friend of mine had an M3 and he thought he could beat a supra. The only thing I said to him was, "Good Luck". I must admit, I've always wanted the turbo..

If you get an NA now, you'll look a fool.

But seriously, whatever you think will be best. The difference in MPG is negligible anyhow ;)

Guest Andy.ecma
Case closed then.

If you know you want a turbo supra, then why are you asking? :)

Its always nice to consider all my options. I'm just not sure which car would be better to live with everyday.

Guest Andy.ecma
I once had NA behind me in most of the sessions at Brands Hatch and it kept with me all the way except the straight. Since that day I have great respect for a NA. They are not slow or slouch.

Wow, no that is impressive. it's very different on a track to on the road. So I see what your saying. Thanks for that.

I've got an NA, don't regret buying it and it's been a great introduction to the world of RWD sports cars.

If your out for balls out performance, buy the TT, if you want reliability, lower costs and still the potential to build it for more power later on, buy the NA.

There are plenty of guys who have successfully built NA-T's pushing more than 400hp with minimal work.

Everyone is different.

I have the money to buy a turbo but chose the na for reliability.

I had it as a track car for 5 years and now it's a show car..... Not

Once has it let me down.

Do what you think is right but always remember a supra is cool no matter what the engine, it's the gear box you need to be careful of, go manual your a driver go auto and shortly after you will start getting homosexual tendencies.

To be honest there is not a lot of difference in running cost of an NA vs TT when driven normally. I have a TT and love it my mate has an NA and he loves that. The TT is a very fast car the NA is slow compared to it but it's not a slow car by any means. It all really depends whether you want to buy a good NA for £2500-£3000 or go all out and buy a TT from about £5500 for an auto a manual you could put another couple of g's on that. But going back to the running cost if I follow my mate up the motorway on say a hundred odd mile drive my TT uses the same amount of fuel it's only when I start to floor it the tank drains.

Welcome to the club, I would recommend you go along to a local meet & see if you can be taken out in both. :)

To those saying the NA is slow, just a reminder that at the last SupraPod an stock engined NA was getting quicker times than a TT ;)

And you got beat by a girl in a corsa! :D

Sorry I couldn't hold back.... ;)