The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone drifting a NA supra in here ?

tengu

Hi all,

Just curious if any of yous in here are drifting, or doing autocross or track racing etc in a NA 5 Jza80.

Got my turbo baby all stripped out for Drift Allstars next year but in the mean time just bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-MK4-NON-TURBO-Japanese-import-Spares-or-repair-No-reserve-/231113890337?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&item=231113890337&nma=true&si=fLaNeDAsvfxbONtPbXoWlFFt%252BNs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So i am planing on sliding the crap out of it around our frozen mountains.

Will be cool to share thoughts with someone else who is battling the lack of na power :)

You will need to change the diff mate as it won't last, when I used to track mine I smashed 3 diffs and that was just from the odd sideways play.

You will also have to fit a power steering cooler or fit an auto rad an use the box cooler section for the power steering as it will boil. Mine used to in just 4 laps of Cadwell on full lock to lock.

Do the above and your set mate

Ok, that means i was lucky so far, used my diff on the na for a while it was a a stock lsd then weld it and use it on the na-tt-single and it is fine so far ... fingers crossed

You are right about the steering coolant it gets pretty hot so i must get coolers fitted on both soon

You will need to change the diff mate as it won't last, when I used to track mine I smashed 3 diffs and that was just from the odd sideways play.

You will also have to fit a power steering cooler or fit an auto rad an use the box cooler section for the power steering as it will boil. Mine used to in just 4 laps of Cadwell on full lock to lock.

Do the above and your set mate

Thanks man, i recon they are pretty fun on na form as well, so much different chassis then the usual nissans for drifting ...

I don't drift but I do sprint a stock NA 5 speed. Done a couple of track days too. No problems so far except a coolant leak, fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

PS nice vid :)

Yeah hp is nice, but i want to use the na for practice on purpose, will be a lot harder without the turbo torque :D probably even frustrating sometimes but i recon will increase skills ... i think ha ha

I thought you neede HP to drift anywhere other than a multi storey carpark ??? I was waiting for the punchline:taped:

I drifted my old NA a bit, and I found once I made the move to a TT, it got a lot harder.

The NA was easy, as there was no real kick, but I found once I got the TT, the turbo(s) kicking in caught me out a lot, and sent me spinning.

Drifting an NA is much easier than a TT, so therefore, more fun imo.

Agree with you :) Definitely the supra chassis was build for grip and handling with better weight distribution then silvia's or skyline's. In my turbo supra i feel like she is trying to kill me everytime he he. Still playing with setups tho. I will be doing some mountain driving after new year and hopefully get some footage :D that will be in my NA

I drifted my old NA a bit, and I found once I made the move to a TT, it got a lot harder.

The NA was easy, as there was no real kick, but I found once I got the TT, the turbo(s) kicking in caught me out a lot, and sent me spinning.

Drifting an NA is much easier than a TT, so therefore, more fun imo.

Serious skills there mate, I wish I had that ability/control!

Thanks Rich :)

Here is my last video on my turbo baby, visibility not so great. That think is pushing over 500hp i will say :) Running a Vems stand alone ECU with brand new build from scratch wiring system and a T61 Turbonetics turbine at 1.5bar, although the boost was turned to 0.6 bar in this video and it still blown the clutch.

• 7 months later...
Guest ESP OFF

Yes :)

There are more trackday and drifting videos on my channel. Although I'm not as brave as tengu is, some really great driving skills there!

The engine is stock 2JZ-GE with W58 and Torsen diff. I have lightened it a bit and it weighes slightly over 1300kg without driver and fuel now (54-46 weight distribution). It's running on BC Racing BR coilovers.

Edited by ESP OFF (see edit history)